Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 35 of 52  [ 513 posts ]  Go to page « 133 34 35 36 3752 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Nihon Kaigun 1946Posted: September 12th, 2013, 1:22 am
More museum ships...

Seriously, has the post-war Japanese navy preserved a single one of their vessels?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Nihon Kaigun 1946Posted: September 12th, 2013, 4:44 am
The problem with so many museum ships is that they represent a large amount of high-quality steel that isn't in circulation. While steel is cheep relative to other ship costs, Japan has to import all of theirs (while the US did not post war, and why we have as many museum ships as we do today) and as a result it's expensive. I'd reduce by at least half the number of ships that you have as museums.

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Nihon Kaigun 1946Posted: September 12th, 2013, 4:56 am
Another problem is the negative impact that too many museum ships in a limited area have upon each other and the ongoing costs involved in maintaining them.

Case and point, reading this article on the US scene points out many of the problems;
http://navweaps.com/index_tech/museum1.htm

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Nihon Kaigun 1946Posted: September 12th, 2013, 10:41 pm
Quote:
She was in danger of being scrapped, but the citizens of Maizuru raised enough money to buy her from the Navy, and she was towed there after being removed from the Navy List, opening as Maizuru's first museum ship in early January 1999.
I literally cannot see the Japanese doing this...

I understand that in your fantasy, you would like the opportunity to go and visit these ships - but that doesn't mean it's a realistic option. In fact it makes the AU seem strange, almost as if it's being created along American guidelines. The two previous posts from Timothy and Denodon should be proof enough.

BTW I am not trying to crap all over your idea (even though this thread is LITERALLY just 35 pages of kitbashes, which generally annoys me), but rather trying to help you make it better by making the backstory a bit more realistic.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Nihon Kaigun 1946Posted: September 12th, 2013, 11:38 pm
First off, a continuation of the cruisers:

[ img ]
Komaki in 1955, showing updated radar and armaments.

As the only heavy cruiser to survive the war, Komaki remained the sole vessel of her type until the early 1950s. In 1958, she became a training ship and served in this role until being decommissioned in mid-October 1970. Stricken from the Navy List in late September 1982, she was moored in Tokyo Bay along with the decommissioned battleship Yoshino in late December 1983 and opened as a museum ship.

And as for other business...
Colosseum wrote:
Quote:
She was in danger of being scrapped, but the citizens of Maizuru raised enough money to buy her from the Navy, and she was towed there after being removed from the Navy List, opening as Maizuru's first museum ship in early January 1999.
I literally cannot see the Japanese doing this...
Look up how Mutsu was paid for in the 1920s. It actually happened once...why not again?
Colosseum wrote:
Quote:
BTW I am not trying to crap all over your idea (even though this thread is LITERALLY just 35 pages of kitbashes, which generally annoys me), but rather trying to help you make it better by making the backstory a bit more realistic.
If something annoys you or you don't like it, don't read it.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

Last edited by emperor_andreas on September 18th, 2013, 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Nihon Kaigun 1946Posted: September 12th, 2013, 11:40 pm
Funding a battleship's CONSTRUCTION by school children is not implausible. Funding its preservation in the same manner is implausible. This isn't post-war North Carolina we're talking about! ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Nihon Kaigun 1946Posted: September 13th, 2013, 2:42 pm
They might be kitbashes, but they are interesting kitbashes, light years apart from "usual stuff" in the Nationstates style. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Nihon Kaigun 1946Posted: September 16th, 2013, 10:24 pm
Important Announcement:
After a discussion, and due to having provided so many quality drawings to this thread, BB1987 is hereby named the Official Artist for my Nihon Kaigun 1946 AU. Any member can still contribute to this thread, but any drawings for the official timeline will be drawn by BB1987.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

Last edited by emperor_andreas on September 18th, 2013, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Nihon Kaigun 1946Posted: September 18th, 2013, 2:09 pm
At that point it ceases to become your AU. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Nihon Kaigun 1946Posted: November 6th, 2013, 12:50 am
Could I use some of your works in my own AU?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 35 of 52  [ 513 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 133 34 35 36 3752 »

Jump to: