Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 50 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page « 148 49 50 51 5268 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: May 13th, 2014, 4:42 pm
I can help you, if you'd provide me with a navy-list and the approx. personnel strength. - that is, if you like to!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: May 13th, 2014, 4:51 pm
Redhorse wrote:
I'm an Army Officer
Thank you for your service to our country. :)

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: May 14th, 2014, 11:44 pm
Quote:
I can help you, if you'd provide me with a navy-list and the approx. personnel strength. - that is, if you like to!
I have the number of men needed per ship (thanks to springsharp estimates). In January 1942 the Navy's personnel strength is 13,712 and 1571 Marines. There are 10,612 sailors and 513 marines on ships' crews. That leaves you with about 3100 personnel for overhead in headquarters and shore establishments.

If you want to take a crack at the headquarters I can cover the rest.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: May 15th, 2014, 11:37 am
Thanks. Your numbers already reveal that the organization cannot be as complex as that of the USN, though it still can follow the basic organizational outline.

Yeah, I'll love to have a crack at this! Thanks for letting me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: May 28th, 2014, 12:47 pm
January 1942:

Armed Forces Headquarters (AFHQ), the Texas equivalent to the American Joint Chiefs of Staff, is established for strategic war planning and allocation of resources. AFHQ determines that two efforts are key to Texas' participation in the war. The first strategic priority is expanded anti-submarine warfare capacity to defend against the U-boat threat. The second strategic priority is the development of an ambphibious assault capability to put troops ashore (first in Europe, then in the Pacific).

AFHQ also establishes three combatant commands. First is the Interior Command, overseeing the Interior Theater of Operations. It maintains forces for the defense of the Republic's land mass, airspace, and waters out to 300 miles from the coast. Command of ITO is given to the Air Force.

Second is the Atlantic Command, overseeing the Atlantic Theater of Operations. It maintains forces for defending sea lines of communication and engaging Axis naval and air forces in the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranian Sea. Command of ATO is given to the Navy.

Third is the European Command, overseeing the European Theater of Operations. It maintains ground and air forces for offensive operations in Europe, and Axis controlled North Africa and the Middle East. Command of ETO is given to the Army.

The Navy's top four operational priorities to support the war strategy in 1942 are:
1. Increasing the number of ASW assets available to the fleet.
2. Acquiring the vessels needed for amphibious assault and perfecting the Marines' landing force doctrine.
3. Development of carrier avaition capability to support priorities 1 and 2.
4. Doubling the number of capital ships available, with emphasis on replacing older light cruisers and building more heavy cruisers.

The Army's top five operational priorities to support the war strategy in 1942 are:
1. Mobilizing the National Guard.
2. Transfer of mobilized divisions to Europe.
3. Development of amphibious landing capability.
4. Development of an Armored Division Organization.
5. Development of an airborne organization.

The Air Force's Top five operational priorities to support the war strategy in 1942 are:
1. Development of carrier aviation capability.
2. Increase the capacity of ASW patrol aircraft.
3. Transfer of fighters to Europe to augment British air defenses.
4. Development of a tactical air organization to support ground forces.
4. Development of a strategic bombing capability.

More to follow.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 5th, 2014, 11:42 pm
January 1942:

Two Oakwood class destroyers, the DD-48 Oakwood and DD-49 Odessa emerge from the Galveston Navy Yard with the first of many wartime refits. For Oakwood and Odessa, though, this refit was actually planned but incorporated many early war changes:

[ img ]

Unique to Oakwood and Odessa was the installation of the US SG-type surface search radar at the top of the foremast. The deckhouse expanded between the forefunnel and the superstructure to accomodate the associated equipment and displays. Known as the "dog house", the compartment was cramped, hot, and only had enough room for the operator and an assistant. Those two ships were the only pair fitted with the installation in early 1942. The remainder of the class only received that radar installation much later in the year.

The remainder of the changes to the Oakwoods included the installation of a fire control radar (which required raising the director high enough to clear the railing), replacing the 3"/50 AA gun with the 25mm/70 AA cannons, and a new paint scheme. Upgrades to boilers, turbines, and reduction gear were deferred due to the start of the war. Every destroyer available was needed and the powerplant upgrades were considered too time consuming in 1942.

In February, the Texas Air Force activates its first Patrol Squadron, equipped with the Consolidated Catalina:

[ img ]

23 Patrol Squadron actually started receiving aircraft in September 1941 with one plane per month, and the last was delivered just after New Year's day. To date, the Catalina was the largest aircraft in the inventory, and received the designation P-1A. 23 Patrol Squadron would soon start flying regular patrols from allied bases in the Caribbean Sea.

The paint scheme is a medium blue on the top and gray on the sides and bottom. An early form of unit identification, unique to the new Atlantic Command, lists the actual squadron number and a letter for the aircraft number. Letters are not necessarily sequential and are decided by the squadron, often changed regularly to prevent strength assessments by unfriendly observers. National markings have been toned down (a bit), confined to the rudder as opposed to the entire vertical stabilizer.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 6th, 2014, 8:38 am
Good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 6th, 2014, 9:52 am
I like both color schemes!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 6th, 2014, 2:56 pm
Nice work on both the DD and the aircraft...can't wait for more!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 6th, 2014, 4:08 pm
Looks Good!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 50 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 148 49 50 51 5268 »

Jump to: