Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 60 of 76  [ 756 posts ]  Go to page « 158 59 60 61 6276 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 11th, 2014, 7:16 pm
Essentially I see what you've got as a big Erieye so yes, better than the actual Erieye but inferior in some regards at least to MESA.

I'd imagine you could use it for whatever purposes you'd need, after all who needs windows ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 11th, 2014, 7:49 pm
But adequate for RHAF needs. What about the IFR probe?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 11th, 2014, 8:12 pm
Up to you, I prefer the higher mounted style of probe myself. I'd imagine as well it'd keep pipework out of the immediate area of the cockpit?

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 11th, 2014, 8:54 pm
Yes, this is right. Not pleasant to have fuel pipes in the area of cockpit. Edited in page 58 history and the design. Added also Cyprus Airways and other airlines will follow.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 12th, 2014, 9:06 am
Erieye of real Hellenic Air Force has 300 degrees coverage (2 X 150 degrees sectors) and could not track targets in these two 30 degrees sectors, although has some detect capability there. I wonder if my radar (designated M271A) is better than Erieye in coverage and target tracking. Does I need to add nose and tail antennas? Or these could be integrated into the radar itself?

The MESA seem to have some very impressive capabilities according to Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_AEW%26C.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 12th, 2014, 9:26 am
MESA is quite an impressive bit of kit when you look at it.
The easiest way for you to get rear and frontal coverage is to scab on antennae facing that way seeing as the way the Erieye antenna is laid out you can't really do that so I'd imagine you'll have the same limitations.
IMO I'd look at designing something similar to MESA rather than Erieye from the get go as it's a more flexible arrangement.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 12th, 2014, 10:40 am
This variant goes to the future, as M271B, for now the -A version is adequate. HLK has already its own C4ISTAR system and the AEW&C aircraft was the last missing piece to integrate. For now on, 8 old frigates need replacement (6 Salamis Class and 2 Messimvria Class). And at end of the decade, first Elli frigates will also need to be replace.

It is better to send me with pm the new radar to reveal it later when is ready (considering timeline).

Last edited by odysseus1980 on August 13th, 2014, 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 13th, 2014, 5:34 am
eswube wrote:
EDIT: And btw. regarding Your question from another (related) thread about possible Turkish strike aircraft: I guess in the short term Turkey would probably try to get more F-100 Super Sabres (they were major user anyway). A-7's in the longer term? Perhaps.
On the other hand, I doubt about medium bomber - although in the first place it should be defined what it is supposed to be? Something like Tu-22 or B-58? or FB-111? After the WW2 aircraft were rarely defined like that. Anyway, on the one hand list of real-life potential candidates would be extremely short, and probability that Turkey could develop that domestically extremely slim (actually: that any non-major power country could develop these). And getting such plane from Soviet Union for a country with any kind of NATO membership... just NO.
I was thinking about it and today night a flash thought came. The first option cames from England, has twin RR Avon and exported also. You guess it, the Canberra. Second option is American but I am not sure if US exported it, the Skywarrior/B-66. Skywarrior had PW J57 (already known to THK technicians from the F-102) but curiously lacked ejection seats when B-66 had 9tgether with one of worst US jests even produced (the Allison J-71). The Cnaberra was also candidate for RHAF, but latter chose the Buccaneer. Turkey could have Canberra and replaced them with Tornado. Latter is the best option I think. My AU THK has more F-100 already, among them F-100G armed with AGM-45.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 13th, 2014, 6:20 pm
By mid-1960s Canberra as bomber was already rather aged design - in real-life TSR.2 was it's successor-to-be, likewise the Buccaneer in the RAF (that they served in the RAF in strike role even after introduction of Buccaneer is another thing). From that point A-3/B-66 makes somewhat more sense as a newer design.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 14th, 2014, 8:07 pm
I concur with Eswube, however, depending on what the rest of the Turkish air force consists of, the Canberra could realistically be operated into the 70s or even 80s in a bombing role, as many RL air forces did. It would, however, probably be necessary to have a complementary attack plane like the A-4 or Etendard, or Mirage 5.

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 60 of 76  [ 756 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 158 59 60 61 6276 »

Jump to: