Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 9 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1190 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 7th, 2010, 11:58 am
Thank you Hood.

I will continue to use the word worst because I am sick and tired of the Nazi fans online who think that the Germans in WW2 were just so close to various tech breakthroughs that would have won them the war. No mater what happens the Germans are going to lose by 1946-7 and lose HARD. There is no conceivable way for the Germany navy to be built up quickly enough to be a threat.

Annoying fact to fans of the WW2 Germans and Japanese: The US never finished the FY44 naval build program, much less the FY45. So by 1946 the USN could have been a lot larger.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 7th, 2010, 12:09 pm
TimothyC wrote:
The US never finished the FY44 naval build program, much less the FY45. So by 1946 the USN could have been a lot larger.
Damn straight. Also consider the fact that the US navy was designing new ships and guns, superior to those at hand. An example being the replacing, in most designs, of the 5"/38 gun with the 5"/54 (originaly was to be 5.4"/50 gun), USS Montana comes to mind.
Also the RN was also designing it's own better ships Malta class carriers Lion class battleships to name just a few.
Admittedly the German scientists were inovatives, but one must rememeber that all that inventiveness was born out of despairation, as in 1943 the writing was on the wall, and defeat was clearly the outcome of the conflict.
That said, it doesn't detract from those fine designs, even if they are not that realistic.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 7th, 2010, 1:01 pm
And if you really get down to it, if the Germans are doing better in The fall of '44, then they get doses of Instant Sunshine™ in the summer to fall of '45.

American Industrial and Technological capacity simply outpace everyone else. For example, I've had people claim that the Germans were going to build a jet bomber with the range to hit New York. The only problem is that the Germans couldn't build engines that would last the length of the flight out, much less the return trip.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 7th, 2010, 2:24 pm
Is this an AU or a political forum? Thanks for your lesson in history, economics, ethics and whatever else. Again, this is an AU-thread.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 7th, 2010, 2:27 pm
Ashley is rigth, so Timothy, Back off.
The nazi card still bears strong feelings around it, So I would appreciate if you restrain yourself calling Ashley and others here as "nazi fans".

Also, we are not Alternative universe or history forum, but shipdrawing forum. Don't spoil this thread with too detailed plausability talks. AU's are AU's.

Gollevainen
Adm.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Seaplane carrier / cruiser LuedinghausenPosted: October 29th, 2010, 8:57 am
In 1935 the germans got the plans of the durch Amsterdam-class seplane carrier/cruiser. A counterpart was built, of course much bigger and stronger. Influenced by the evolution of the Deutschland-class, the Luedinghausen grew to a big cruiser with two 11"-triples and 6" in 4 singles and 2 twins. A large hanger supported 10 Heinkel He-60 aircraft, another two aircraft were stored on the catapults. The Luedinghausen prooved valuable with its appearance at the spanish civil war. With the upcomming of light carriers the airwing of the Luedinghausen grew obsolete and the ship was refitted as command ship.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 29th, 2010, 9:12 am
the stern hangar might be a bit too massive, or is your ship very broad?
also, the screws you have put on it are most likely too modern
other then that: great work! but what type are those planes, and what is their role?

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Amsterdam-class recovered Rotterdam, rebuildt by KriegsmarinPosted: October 29th, 2010, 9:19 am
The German Wehrmacht overruns in 1940 the neutral Netherlands. While the HMNLS Amsterdam manages to escape, her sistership Rotterdam is blown up in her drydock to prevent her from being captured. Germans rebuildt the hulk and finish her in late 1941. The ship keeps the dutch turrets but german 15,2cm-guns are installed. 1941s directors and 10,5cm-aa are placed. Trials in early 1942 in the north sea are successful, the now 'Heinrich von Stahl' goes into service in march 1942 on its first mission, anti-sub-patrols at the british eastern coast and chanel. The night of the 4th of april 1942 sees the cruiser as prey of O-18, a surviving dutch submarine, now based at Scape Flow. The 'Stahl-incident' endangered the armistice between UK and the Reich until it wasn't proved that any british ship was involved.

[ img ]

Last edited by Ashley on October 29th, 2010, 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 29th, 2010, 9:44 am
acelanceloet wrote:
the stern hangar might be a bit too massive, or is your ship very broad?
also, the screws you have put on it are most likely too modern
other then that: great work! but what type are those planes, and what is their role?
-arrgh, the screws! you're right
-the hangar is not that massive as it looks for it is not that much armoured
-the aircraft are Heinkel He-60, they do recon and bombing

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 29th, 2010, 11:32 am
OK let's see... The HNLMS Rotterdam was only completed to 40% when she was blown up. If the Germans would have rebuilt the hull (which I doubt will be unlikely because the reason why it was BLOWN UP, was to make sure the Germand wouldn't rebuilt it :) ) they probably would have finished it with a lot more German looks. For instance the final layout was installed in 1941 in Great Brittain, the original design featured the same armament as the De Ruyter class cruisers etc. The 6'' guns where installed in 1941 in Great Britain.

Nice to see you used my ship for your AU, but if the Germans would have captured it, it would have not looked like this. When I finish my current design (you can find it in my thread), I will also make the original design, so you better do your version from that one. Another remark, my ship was designed for the Dutch East Indies, so Germany wouldn't have to built a counterpart to it, because if the ships would have been built according to plan, the changes would be very slim that they would ever meet each other. ;)

Sorry for ruing up your AU story, but that is the possibility when you redesign a ship that is still a WIP ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1190 »

Jump to: