Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Psilander
Post subject: Swedish AU - CGLH 1986 - a studyPosted: April 28th, 2011, 3:14 pm
I put this one in an own topic so we can discuss the finished designs in the other thread

I am reworking my "Svärdet-class" cruisers. My way old design is HERE

First study, first attemt for my 1980s cruiser project. The replacement of the Äran and maybe the Kung Carl classes. She is loosely based on the sovjet Slava and the US CG-47 classes. My main concern is her main air/ surf search radar. SPY-1 can not be fitted due to her general layout and export problems. I would like to have the SMART-L but thats about 15 years to early. Right now she uses the SPS-48 (PS 860), in IRL use by the RSwAF, aswell as many of my AU ships.

180x 20x 6m
approx 12000tons

CODAG
22kts cruise (diesels)
32kts max (GT+diesels)

1x3 152mm DP gun
4x1 57mm MK2 DP gun
12x1 RBS 15
2x64 cell MK41 VLS

4x medium helicopters or 2x large

Worklist
All Royal Swedish Navy units from 1522 to present

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Swedish AU - CGLH 1986 - a studyPosted: April 28th, 2011, 3:22 pm
an option for the radar, might be the predecessor to the SMART-L: the radar sphere of the Tromp class frigates of the Dutch navy. these were about 10 years in service with the dutch navy when this ship would be build, and they originated in an anglo-dutch radar program.

btw, 6 RHIB's seems a bit too much for a ship like this.... and I might be wrong on this, but were the bofors 57 build in these days already?

EDIT: the SMART-S might be an option too.... together with STIR 180's and STIR 140's it is capable enough for this ship IMO, and it was used in 1985 on the dutch heemskerck class frigates. also, I don't know if an VLS would be available for the swedish navy in 1980-1985....? (it wasn't for the dutch, haven't checked other navies)

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Swedish AU - CGLH 1986 - a studyPosted: April 28th, 2011, 3:39 pm
The dome of the Tromp might be interesting....

The Bofors 57mm Mk2 first went to sea with IRL HSwMS Stockholm in 1984. They have the same hoist as the older mk 1 /m71 so the unmanned and the manned turrets are interchangable.

The RHIBS are just a suggestion, I am more think of 2x small motor launches for the admiral, 2x CB90 style raiding crafts and maybe a RHIB. Do have the Dutch partsheet? They have some very interesting radars....

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Swedish AU - CGLH 1986 - a studyPosted: April 28th, 2011, 3:47 pm
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=321&start=80 on this page is the latest version. keep in mind that this sheet is WIP, so some parts still need their update or need to be added (for example the LW-08-01, the 02 is renewed, the 01 is still on my to do list...)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Swedish AU - CGLH 1986 - a studyPosted: April 28th, 2011, 8:25 pm
I don't think one stack is going to be enough without excessive ducting.
In order to get enough power you'll probably need to fit engines underneath the hangar as well as where you have them now, which means you'll need a stack back there as well. There simply isn't enough room between the superstructure and the aft VLS to fit all the powepacks. This does come with the advantage of a split engine plant with the associated damage resistance.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Swedish AU - CGLH 1986 - a studyPosted: May 3rd, 2011, 6:49 am
Thiel wrote:
I don't think one stack is going to be enough without excessive ducting.
In order to get enough power you'll probably need to fit engines underneath the hangar as well as where you have them now, which means you'll need a stack back there as well. There simply isn't enough room between the superstructure and the aft VLS to fit all the powepacks. This does come with the advantage of a split engine plant with the associated damage resistance.
The aft mast could be made a MACK hot house both the radar and the exhausts from the engines.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Swedish AU - CGLH 1986 - a studyPosted: June 26th, 2011, 8:49 am
Wip...still haven't foundout which main radar to use.. the dutch one is interesting aswell as the SPS-48/ PS-860 already in use by the RSWAF and RSWN.

VLS could be repalced by rail launcher infront for SAMs and ABL for TLAM in the back.

Laid down around 1988-90.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Swedish AU - CGLH 1986 - a studyPosted: June 26th, 2011, 8:51 am
Looking good! The forwards superstructure somewhat reminds me of a Ticonderoga.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
dc1
Post subject: Re: Swedish AU - CGLH 1986 - a studyPosted: June 26th, 2011, 2:21 pm
I think she´s a nice concept. It would be easier building her than the original design ( when fighting the treasury that is) if you have a ship acting not just as airdefence for carriers but also can be a cadetship or land a marine company...

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Swedish AU - CGLH 1986 - a studyPosted: June 26th, 2011, 10:25 pm
Some altered sensors and no VLS, hardly USN had it so early,,

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: