Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: RAN Deutschland hunterPosted: July 6th, 2015, 10:15 am
Hey JSB, I think you might be a bit light with your turret transfer data. Twin 15" 770 tons (metric be damned) for a total 1540 tons. Now the 8" twins are 210 each. Add 105 to get the triple and you have 315 each times four, for a total of 1260 tons which only leaves 280 tons for extra armour. Not enough to make much difference.

Thinking about it, bulging the ship will allow you the extra tonnage to remove the old 3" belt and replace it with a new 7-9" belt, If you are going to replace the engines/propulsion you have the opportunity to also replace the armoured deck at the same time - new 3-4". The trade off with bulging the ship is slower speed, but if you replace the engines with a more powerful unit (120-130K) that may keep your speed the same.

As you keep telling me, "Would that be cost effective?".

If the Aussies are doing the work in an Australian dockyard, they may have to build one first.

Last edited by Krakatoa on July 6th, 2015, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: RAN Deutschland hunterPosted: July 6th, 2015, 10:18 am
:lol: :oops:
you know when you read the wrong number from navweps (the as designed rather than as completed) :(

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: RAN Deutschland hunterPosted: July 6th, 2015, 10:28 am
Sorry I thought I had enough time to edit my last post before you might reply.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: RAN Deutschland hunterPosted: July 6th, 2015, 11:02 am
I think it would be very uncost effective personally, but in a treaty environment it might be worth it.

Without treaty's I think you just spam G3s/lions (and keep old BCs) and scouts (Leander's/CVLs) much better than wasting cash on CAs(and super CAs) that cant fight a battleships and are to big to just stop AMC and have a radio.

as to this ships agreed,will have to draw a new bridge etc for after the new deck goes in it only works really with a full rebuild. (unless you build in from front/back as the Barbette's are going out anyway ?)
Quote:
If the Aussies are doing the work in an Australian dockyard, they may have to build one first.
How big was Number 1 (Sutherland) Dock on Cockatoo Island says 20,000t but that might be for shorter fat ships ? mine will need a longer dock probably but not maybe imposable ?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: RAN Deutschland hunterPosted: July 6th, 2015, 11:59 am
The no.1 dock was built to take HMAS Australia BC

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: RAN Deutschland hunterPosted: July 6th, 2015, 12:37 pm
So at least 590 ft x 80 ft x 30 ft 4 in but later (26 ?) extended for 631+ ft length for the 2 CAs.
Can we keep lengthening it ? and how wide (and can it be widened) is it do we have space for any bulging from 81ft does anybody have plans ? or dimensions ?

That or we just build a new dock (maybe even put it somewhere different like the far north so its ready to support ops in DIE in WW2 ? ;) )

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: RAN Deutschland hunterPosted: July 6th, 2015, 1:08 pm
You can see where the big dock is on the photo. To lengthen it out to 800+ feet would require a complete rebuild of some of the smaller docks as well.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: RAN Deutschland hunterPosted: July 6th, 2015, 1:44 pm
Well unless you can build out so sea it will have to be a new dock, makes the program really cost effective and affordable :roll: .

What would you think as a suitable site ?

1- new dock near Sydney - can share stuff if close by
2- Melbourn - Victoria gets a turn ?
3- Darwin - best location to strike north to defend the DEI maybe RN insists that it be in far north when Aus insists that it will not fund Singapore base, but wants it on Aus soil ?
4- Cairns north but actually a city ?
5- Perth for the far west ?

or maybe ditch the idea :( :ugeek: that's the problem I'm having writing an alt RN its to easy to make it to good or get into endless problems as each change builds up and changes other stuff.....

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: RAN Deutschland hunterPosted: July 6th, 2015, 2:12 pm
JSB wrote:
Well unless you can build out so sea it will have to be a new dock, makes the program really cost effective and affordable :roll: .

What would you think as a suitable site ?

1- new dock near Sydney - can share stuff if close by
2- Melbourn - Victoria gets a turn ?
3- Darwin - best location to strike north to defend the DEI maybe RN insists that it be in far north when Aus insists that it will not fund Singapore base, but wants it on Aus soil ?
4- Cairns north but actually a city ?
5- Perth for the far west ?

or maybe ditch the idea :( :ugeek: that's the problem I'm having writing an alt RN its to easy to make it to good or get into endless problems as each change builds up and changes other stuff.....
My time to shine :D

Victoria has the Alfred Graving Dock, as well as tons of space for another dock, the AGD is 140m long by 24m

Cairns I imagine wouldn't be an option due to soil, river/tidal conditions and the fact Cairns is literally in the worst spot. Ditto for Darwin.

Brisbane has a decent set of small docks, but nothing close.

Perth has a slipway that's about 95m long but that's it apart from the AMEC which was built later.

A best option would be the Captain Cook dock, which whilst built in 1940-1945, though...
Quote:
would involve the reclamation of 30 acres between Potts Point and Garden Island and the construction of the graving dock 1,139 feet 5 inches (347.29 metres) long, 147 feet 7.5 inches (45 metres) wide and with 45 feet (13.72 metres) draught of water on sill at spring tide.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: RAN Deutschland hunterPosted: July 6th, 2015, 2:33 pm
They built anew graving dock in the 40's for Sydney - Captain Cook Graving dock - you might be able to take that idea back a few years to match your LBC's

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: