Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: AU, USA, Omaha Class Light Cruiser 1926Posted: June 30th, 2016, 5:29 pm
erik_t wrote:
Not only are they an explosive danger, but they force different tactical maneuvering and task group disposition. In general, you cannot simultaneously maneuver ownship for maximum gunnery effect and move into position for a torpedo attack. Note that a DD of the era would not really worry about 5/38 gunlaying against a target worthy of a torpedo spread. It was all or nothing one way or the other.

Certainly had a couple of USN CA's been snookered into a bad position by a Japanese BB, they'd want to have torpedoes aboard. It's a question of, on limited displacement, do you want to maximize your one capability or handicap it somewhat for an off-design usage? The USN had the luxury of 5:5:3 tonnage and so considered cruisers to be fleet scouts and raider-hunters first, second, and third. They never envisioned them attacking units immune to 6/47 or 8/55; if they encountered them, run away and let the job be handled by ships optimized for the task.

I think it's totally fair to question USN doctrine on this point, but to outright call it a definite mistake is an oversimplification.
Burning floatplanes were a bad deal at Savo Island

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: AU, USA, Omaha Class Light Cruiser 1926Posted: June 30th, 2016, 6:08 pm
Burning floatplanes and burning boats - hence the move to relocate all floatplanes to the quarterdeck, and the almost complete removal of all flammable wooden boats from most ships (by 1945 they carry two whaleboats at most).

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: AU, USA, Omaha Class Light Cruiser 1926Posted: June 30th, 2016, 9:30 pm
-- hull knuckle argument has been split off

Please use this thread to discuss Krakatoa's design.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AU, USA, Omaha Class Light Cruiser 1926Posted: July 1st, 2016, 10:28 am
One of the questions asked was about the 6", and where they cam from, which is from Davids drawing.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AU, USA, Omaha Class Light Cruiser 1926Posted: July 2nd, 2016, 7:25 am
The look of the 6" on the New Hampshire is good, they suit the ship. But when I take them off the NH, clean them up, and then install them on the cruiser, they look too small. I have put a triple 6" off one of Colo's Cleveland's in the same drawing as a comparison, which begs the question do I need to increase the size of the triple on the CL. When compared to the twin 8" on the CA version, again the CL's triple looks tiny, but against the Cleveland triple, looks the right size.

I have added a rebuilt 6" to the same dimensions as the other two but retains the original look.

[ img ]

I have also followed Aris new 'knuckle' line, but I can not follow it too far because I fit a full armour belt from turret to turret to cover the magazines, so it must be shorter.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AU, USA, Omaha Class Light Cruiser 1926Posted: July 2nd, 2016, 9:35 am
Version 2 with larger turrets in place.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AU, USA, Omaha Class Light Cruiser 1926Posted: July 2nd, 2016, 9:58 am
I actually find the shading on this drawing far more likely to be accurate then the multiple-toned hull shading in the other thread.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: AU, USA, Omaha Class Light Cruiser 1926Posted: July 2nd, 2016, 3:55 pm
I think the style conveys the appropriate amount of information for a Shipbucket drawing, which ultimately is the important thing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: AU, USA, Omaha Class Light Cruiser 1926Posted: July 6th, 2016, 7:39 am
I was going to say something regarding the ship, but after reading all your arguing I forgot what I wanted to say. The only thing I remember is torpedoes. Anyways I know using World of Warships as my reason to justify why I always want torpedoes on my US cruisers was because most of the other nations cruisers I fought against had torpedoes (Germany and Japan). The firepower of the main guns was great, but every now and then a destroyer gets to close and either I can't aim my massive guns, can't reload in time or my secondary guns are seamlingly useless. Torpedoes always seemed like a good idea to at least scare them off or get them to keep their distance.

When I played in a destroyer I was often surprised when the cruisers I fought against launched torpedoes at me and forced my too dodge (one cruiser was a German ship the other was Japanese). I got picked off easily because my main guns weren't effective to deal with cruisers at long range and at close range, about 6km where I can drop torpedoes, I was constantly having to dodge torpedoes launched from cruisers and maybe a destroyer somewhere.

Playing in BB I had the same issue. Cruisers are an easy target for a battleship, but on occasion one gets too close and drops torpedoes and my slow battleship was heavily damaged before I'm able to take care of the cruiser.

I'm just saying that they could be useful in US cruiser designs. Even two torpedoes will be enough to warn a destroyer not to get too close.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: AU, USA, Omaha Class Light Cruiser 1926Posted: July 6th, 2016, 10:26 am
Look up battle of Samar, the torpedoes of the cruisers did nothing to deter the DDs and the DEs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: