Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 133 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 1131 132 133 134 135137 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 27th, 2014, 8:45 am
Looks nice start. thought the guns seems to be kinda odd selection, the front turret resambles none of the rear ones and the Destroyer main guns seems bit odd for secondaries. And were Pompoms available in early 1930s?

But I see potential in this type of vessels, it reminds me of the myriad of same size designs from my own never-published AU works. When working on small cruisers, one just has to remember not to overload them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 27th, 2014, 8:53 am
DD main guns? Did I seriously just put the wrong secondaries on there? sheesh.

The main gun turrets look different because I wanted to show that the fore turret was a triple while the two aft were doubles. maybe I went a bit overboard on that.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 27th, 2014, 9:07 am
Usually when there is triple and twins mixed, its sometimes actually quite hard to even spot the twins out of triples just looking the side view

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 27th, 2014, 10:03 am
hmm. yeah, good point. I like the aft turrets better anyhow.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 27th, 2014, 10:32 am
Welcome back Zephyr!
I agree with Golly, twin and triple versions of the same turret generally looks very much alike. On a side view all you really need to modify is the size of the barbette to accommodate the extra hoist.
Overall the ship looks good, though I think it's a bit far from your other cruiser designs from the same timeframe.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 27th, 2014, 1:45 pm
Welcome back, Zephyr. Long time, no see!

Anyways, that CL of yours looks pretty awesome. I can readily see where you've drawn your inspiration from!
One minor suggestion (and it's really only a suggestion!): why not add a smaller bridge wing aft of your upper bridge (which probably is the Admiral's bridge or? I wouldn't extend it as you've done with your main bridge platform, though. I see no reason for that. Also that AA-gun mount you have put just above your forward wing secondary (5.5-in?) I'd move forward, on the beam focs'le deck. That way you'll improve its arcs tremendeously.

Other than that, it's a true gem! I love cruisers, so, this is a real treat!

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 27th, 2014, 9:29 pm
Nice to see you back Zepher mate. The drawing looks promising. :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 27th, 2014, 9:37 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Welcome back, Zephyr. Long time, no see!
Thanks. Been busy with a fan group I'm a member of. Got a new "job" in it that keeps me pretty busy.
bezobrazov wrote:
Anyways, that CL of yours looks pretty awesome. I can readily see where you've drawn your inspiration from!
One minor suggestion (and it's really only a suggestion!): why not add a smaller bridge wing aft of your upper bridge (which probably is the Admiral's bridge or? I wouldn't extend it as you've done with your main bridge platform, though. I see no reason for that. Also that AA-gun mount you have put just above your forward wing secondary (5.5-in?) I'd move forward, on the beam focs'le deck. That way you'll improve its arcs tremendeously.

Other than that, it's a true gem! I love cruisers, so, this is a real treat!
I actually have plans to add a second "wing bridge" above the one I currently have. Just haven't got around to it yet.
The secondaries are currently 4.7", but I'm thinking of swapping those out for 4". Good idea on moving that 2-pdr though.

I was thinking about adding some TT on there, but for the life of me, I can't figure a good spot for them.
I'm also of two minds about the area between the funnels, on whether I want to try and cram a catapult in there, or use it for ships boats.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 27th, 2014, 10:22 pm
You can actually use the open amidships deck for both: since you have a (double?) hangar at the base of your forward funnel, I'd concentrate the ship's boats, crowding them around the second funnel. Some may, inevitably have to be stacked. Also, of course, you have your upper deck around that section on which you can put your large 50" sail cutters!

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 27th, 2014, 10:35 pm
hmmm. ok, that's an idea.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 133 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1131 132 133 134 135137 »

Jump to: