sabotage181
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: October 8th, 2013, 2:08 am
latest update. She's right there.. almost done

[ img ]

Comments, suggestions always welcome

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: October 8th, 2013, 8:21 am
my only real comment remaining is that you have only an mod 0 (or maybe, an tight fit 1) aft, as can be seen here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 ... GX%202.png
the generator aft interferes with the launcher otherwise.
it seems also not very wise to put an uptake of an gas turbine under a part of the helideck, as you will just overheat the metal and bend it :P
forward, an Mod 2 Mk 26 fits, but it is an tight fit, and I should check other ships to see if that is acceptable (it might very well be, and in the case that it fits I suggest fitting an small reload crane on the forward superstructure, like on the perry, as the loader of the Mk 26 is just forward of the bridge.

I suppose you want 2 mod 2's? it is not neccesary, as some of the CSGN's had no mod 2 as well, but even so, I would suggest to do so on a ship this size.

keep an eye on the prop shaft: the angle it has when it exits the hull is kept over the entire length of the machinery. the gas turbines are more forward on your ship then they are on the spruance (compared with the propeller, that is) so if that angle is the same, the engines are higher in the hull. so I would suspect the angle would be lower, maybe even near horizontal.

the only other thing I miss right now is some UNREP mast, so you can replenish the ship at sea. most of the times, those are fitted on the foredeck in front of the bridge, on the midship section or on the aft deck. there seems not to be an obvious spot on your vessel, as there are weapons on all these spots, so I'll leave it to you to find the best spot ;)

other then that, it is looking great!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: October 8th, 2013, 3:48 pm
Now it does strike me as a proper conventionally-powered replacement for the Virginias rather than an overloaded Kidd/Tico.

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: October 9th, 2013, 2:55 am
acelanceloet wrote:
my only real comment remaining is that you have only an mod 0 (or maybe, an tight fit 1) aft, as can be seen here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 ... GX%202.png
the generator aft interferes with the launcher otherwise.
it seems also not very wise to put an uptake of an gas turbine under a part of the helideck, as you will just overheat the metal and bend it :P
Thanks ace. you need to think more in 3D. The emergency generator appears to be under the helo deck, but the after part of the helo deck angles toward the middle of the ship right there AND the generator is actually on the starboard side right there :)
acelanceloet wrote:
forward, an Mod 2 Mk 26 fits, but it is an tight fit, and I should check other ships to see if that is acceptable (it might very well be, and in the case that it fits I suggest fitting an small reload crane on the forward superstructure, like on the perry, as the loader of the Mk 26 is just forward of the bridge.

I suppose you want 2 mod 2's? it is not neccesary, as some of the CSGN's had no mod 2 as well, but even so, I would suggest to do so on a ship this size.
I forgot to check clearances after I swapped the MK-26 and Mk-71. you are absolutely correct, as usual. Since I've now got the superstructure how I want it, I've increased the hull length to fit the MOD 2. (I forgot to she how long she is now...)
acelanceloet wrote:
keep an eye on the prop shaft: the angle it has when it exits the hull is kept over the entire length of the machinery. the gas turbines are more forward on your ship then they are on the spruance (compared with the propeller, that is) so if that angle is the same, the engines are higher in the hull. so I would suspect the angle would be lower, maybe even near horizontal.

I will work this issue for the next update. I didn't even think about that. I have to be honest, coming for an electronic and weapons systems kind of background, I've not given enough thought to whats below the 01 level :)
acelanceloet wrote:
the only other thing I miss right now is some UNREP mast, so you can replenish the ship at sea. most of the times, those are fitted on the foredeck in front of the bridge, on the midship section or on the aft deck. there seems not to be an obvious spot on your vessel, as there are weapons on all these spots, so I'll leave it to you to find the best spot ;)

other then that, it is looking great!
I'm opting for a setup like the Virginia had. There will be an unrep station between the forward launcher and gun, and just like Virginia it retracts into the deck. Gong with this same concept, the station amidships will also be retractable. I've made room amidships for the station and I'm still on the fence on if I will represent that actual kingpost as its unsightly

klagldsf wrote:
Now it does strike me as a proper conventionally-powered replacement for the Virginias rather than an overloaded Kidd/Tico.
Thank you KLAG, that is exactly what I was hoping to accomplish with this "what if" project :)

Here are the latest up-dates

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: October 9th, 2013, 6:45 am
even when the uptake is not under the overhang, if she is in the corner she will be underneath the railing when that folds down. not the best thing either.
note that, unlike virginia, the UNREP positions of this ship need to take in fuel too, and thus need to be close to an hatch (most of the time in the superstructure) where this is possible.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: October 9th, 2013, 1:57 pm
It looks like he has fueling stations just under where the helicopter tail rotor is drawn as well as under the forward harpoon launcher so there is no need for the stpres station to also take on fuel, though do to the normal alignment of replenishment ships they would only be able to fuel from one station if also using the stores kingpost, the replenishment ship would be too far forward to connect to the aft station.

I would recommend putting the harpoons back in front of the forward superstructure (just eight, sixteen is overkill) and putting the kingpost there while moving the forward fueling station either between the boats or forward besides your break enclosure. I don't think there is enough beam there to mount harpoons on both sides of the superstructure right there anyway (have you done a notational top down to check?) and even if they were you are firing the exhaust directly against a bulkhead. In fact, the aft set have their exhast pointed at a water tight door which would warp closed permanently after a single fire most likely, or at the very least have its seals melted!

Alternatively you could put the retractable kingposts amidships so they are in front of the ABLs when extended. That provides for much better stationkeeping (think about it, if you tension a span wire on a bow station you are basiclly pulling the bow direcly into the replenisment ship which then has to be compensated for. Also, having the replenishment ship that far forward during an UNREP means you probably have his wake action interacting with your stern) and lets you use all your UNREP stations, stores and fuel, at the same time.

Also alternatively you could compromise and put the retractable kingposts just in front of the superstructure.

It looks like you forgot to color the base of the aft director.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: October 9th, 2013, 3:28 pm
Please check the latest versions of the CGN:s California and South Carolina for RL-examples of retro-fitted Harpoons and the UnRep masts. http://shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Re ... 201997.png

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: October 9th, 2013, 4:16 pm
At this point, I find myself feeling like you can (should) improve the disposition of the directors. There's no reason for them to be as crammed together as they are, especially aft.

I find the location of the aft Phalanx especially galling, in that it is blocking the field of view of the after directors. The CIWS is very much a last ditch system; by all means you should hope to shoot someone down with Standard instead. Why subordinate the superior system to the inferior one? Indeed, I'd rather get rid of it entirely, and survive on the two beam mounts, rather than block the illuminators this way. Lots of Shipbucket artists seem to do this, so I'm not trying to single you out. This is just well-enough thought out that I think you should dedicate a little more thought to the layout.

Also, what year is this depiction? SPS-49 could (and eventually would) replace SPS-40.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: October 9th, 2013, 4:21 pm
And as always, major thanks to Shipright for his thoughts on actual in-service details. I wish we had more people around here who were able to contribute that kind of knowledge, rather than a big group of Preachers of Friedman (of which I certainly count myself among them).

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: October 9th, 2013, 4:41 pm
Its all I have to contribute thus far. But soon, soon... ;)

@sabotage181 - Are those ABLs two deep for 16 weapons or just one deep side by side for 8? If its the first then just like the harpoons I would take a look at beam space as I don't think you have it (The Iowas have them mounted this way and it uses most of their 108ish foot beam). If its the latter you should rotate one of the launchers so you can fire strikes of either side of the ship. Its not really a big deal for land attack missions but at this time period they still had TASMs which might require a certain ship attitude when firing for tactical reasons

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 23  [ 225 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 823 »

Jump to: