Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
proelite
Post subject: Pocket Nuclear CATOBAR carrier with simultaneous takeoff and recoveryPosted: May 29th, 2024, 6:52 am
Saipan class light carrier. CVLN-85
Length: 696.969 feet.
Beam: 190 feet
Waterline bean: 92 feet
35,000 tons
25+ knots.

Aicraft:
16 F-35C
8 drones for AEW, electronic warfare, and refueling.
6 Seahawks

[ img ]

Angled deck variant.

[ img ]

Updated version with better length to beam ratio, resulting in island placement. Updated elevators to be bigger. Added crane.

[ img ]

I reused parts of Soode's supercarrier in the supercarrier challenge to help speed up the visualization of the deck layout.

Last edited by proelite on June 21st, 2024, 5:10 am, edited 12 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Pocket Nuclear CATOBAR carrier with simultaneous takeoff and recoveryPosted: May 29th, 2024, 12:05 pm
You need to pull both catobar closer to center, the aircraft/drone do need space for take of, as you have it now, about half the aircraft will be hanging overboard. And you also need an safety margin around the aircraft taking off.

[Profile] [Quote]
proelite
Post subject: Re: Pocket Nuclear CATOBAR carrier with simultaneous takeoff and recoveryPosted: May 29th, 2024, 5:59 pm
heuhen wrote: *
You need to pull both catobar closer to center, the aircraft/drone do need space for take of, as you have it now, about half the aircraft will be hanging overboard. And you also need an safety margin around the aircraft taking off.
The further catapult on the Ford's port side is essentially in the same configuration as mine. As for safety margin, are you talking about distance to the foul line?

[ img ]

Last edited by proelite on May 29th, 2024, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
proelite
Post subject: Re: Pocket Nuclear CATOBAR carrier with simultaneous takeoff and recoveryPosted: May 29th, 2024, 6:14 pm
Updated version with more parking space, more seaworthy bow, and different elevator configuration.

Previous version had only parking space for 8 F-35s, including on on the aft elevator, without impacting landing nor takeoff. This new widened deck configuration has space for up to 20 without impacting landing or takeoff.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Pocket Nuclear CATOBAR carrier with simultaneous takeoff and recoveryPosted: May 29th, 2024, 11:26 pm
Ford carrier is almost twice the size of your carrier, the distance between deck edge and catobar is bigger then on you'r carrier. It looks closer on the drawing of Ford, due to scaling of the picture.

The second drawing doesn't make the ships any more seaworthy just due to the change of the flight deck. It is the hull underneath that is the factor there. A flight deck can have massive overhang without affecting the seaworthy of a ship. One of the many reason for carriers have their flight deck shaped as it is, is to reduce weight of flight deck but at the same have an efficient as possible flight deck as possible. So if there is an area of the flight deck that are not going to be used for anything, they remove that area. Your flight deck is also to wide.

Notice the overhang
[ img ]

HMS Hermes is similar length as your carrier, and is an good example of the size limit you will be working with. You might be wining a little more deck space aft with a more modern hull design, but not by much.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
proelite
Post subject: Re: Pocket Nuclear CATOBAR carrier with simultaneous takeoff and recoveryPosted: May 30th, 2024, 12:50 am
Ford carrier is almost twice the size of your carrier, the distance between deck edge and catobar is bigger then on you'r carrier. It looks closer on the drawing of Ford, due to scaling of the picture.

I did by pixel measurement of the distance between the deck edge and catobar on the Ford using the length of the F-18 and it's less than 20'. The distance on my carrier between the cat and deck edge is 20', as each grid is 10'.
Your flight deck is also to wide.
The second configuration has a deck width of ~190', which results in a deck width to length ratio of 3.6, which is around same ratio as that of the the CATOBAR configuration of the Queen Elizabeth class carrier.

[ img ]

About the ship being more sea worthy, I read that the front of the carrier deck for a wider ship must be narrower than the body in case the whole ship goes under a wave.

[Profile] [Quote]
proelite
Post subject: Re: Pocket Nuclear CATOBAR carrier with simultaneous takeoff and recoveryPosted: May 30th, 2024, 2:05 am
Updated designs based on feedback from else where. I moved the islands and aft elevator all the way to the aft of the ship to improve deck operations, as previously the island was forcing planes to go on the landing strip too often. The update designs have it so that the port side can be completely free of launching operations.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Pocket Nuclear CATOBAR carrier with simultaneous takeoff and recoveryPosted: May 30th, 2024, 5:13 am
nah, I'm done here. I could keep this going on and on. But don't compare it to QE even it is a much bigger ship then yours, it is even not that wide to length

[Profile] [Quote]
proelite
Post subject: Re: Pocket Nuclear CATOBAR carrier with simultaneous takeoff and recoveryPosted: May 31st, 2024, 8:42 pm
Updated based on feedback.

[ img ]

Last edited by proelite on June 1st, 2024, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
proelite
Post subject: Re: Pocket Nuclear CATOBAR carrier with simultaneous takeoff and recoveryPosted: June 1st, 2024, 6:20 pm
nah, I'm done here. I could keep this going on and on. But don't compare it to QE even it is a much bigger ship then yours, it is even not that wide to length
More traditional angled deck layout
USS Independence class CVLN
825', 40,000+ tons
20 F-35C
2 EWAR drones
4 AEW drones
4 ASW drones
2 tanker drones
2 helis
2 C-2 Greyhound

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: