Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Commando Cruiser C. 1944/56/68- first drawing projectPosted: August 28th, 2011, 1:25 pm
you never know, it would be the last thing a Nimitz taskforce would be prepared for!

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
meeware
Post subject: Re: Commando Cruiser C. 1944/56/68- first drawing projectPosted: August 28th, 2011, 2:44 pm
Thank you all, very much appreciate the guidance- I have taken much of the aft hull below the waterline of the St Vincent AU cruiser, so screws rudder and profile are all down to that artist. Similarly the extreme forepeak is 'borrowed'.

[Profile] [Quote]
meeware
Post subject: Re: Commando Cruiser C. 1944/56/68- first drawing projectPosted: August 29th, 2011, 3:11 pm
Very much in the spirit of "constructive feedback welcome" here's the latest iteration of the 1944 commando cruiser. It has many of the features of the Battle class, so obviously would be prone to the technical glitches of those ships. Size has grown, she's now well over 600ft, and hence very unlikely at this stage of the war. I am a bit worried about top weight, especially with the very tall superstructure aft, so I might cut back the tophamper there. However, with davits for the LCAs (I think they're about right now) there's really not much choice if AA and directors are to have any field of fire at all.

The secondary AA has changed mount from the very compact BDII to the more practical BD Mk IV. I just couldn't work out the magazine arrangements for that intense cluster of aft weapons.

There's a US LCVP there too- probably handy on a few raids.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Commando Cruiser C. 1944/56/68- first drawing projectPosted: August 29th, 2011, 3:16 pm
A fine effort mate.She definitely looks better for the extra length. :P

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Commando Cruiser C. 1944/56/68- first drawing projectPosted: August 29th, 2011, 3:40 pm
you could lower the LCA's quite a bit ;) that would help with the top weight and would make embarking a lot easier. I would suggest to add some more doors so troops can get in quickly.

[Profile] [Quote]
meeware
Post subject: Re: Commando Cruiser C. 1944/56/68- first drawing projectPosted: August 29th, 2011, 3:46 pm
I'm using standard davits of the LCAs. These allow the craft to be lowered to the deck level for embarkation, but lift them over and above the deck for stowage. There is another davit design that is longer, but allows the stowage of stacked landing craft. I was going to try that for Hood's sister.

Attached is image of the davits on an LST.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Commando Cruiser C. 1944/56/68- first drawing projectPosted: August 29th, 2011, 3:55 pm
A silly little nip-pick.Try to space out the railings on the fo'csal to 7 pixels.If you get the spacing right all well and good.If not I usually put a life belt over the miss-match.Also try and get the line of the railings to follow the line if the deck so they step down at the same height.I know it's a pain in the arse job but looks so much better.Minor little details make a good drawing even better.All in all a fine effort well done mate.

[Profile] [Quote]
meeware
Post subject: Re: Commando Cruiser C. 1944/56/68- first drawing projectPosted: August 29th, 2011, 4:23 pm
Ah, had a feeling there was a 'knack' to those. And felt I hadn't got it on the foredeck. :?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 38 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: