Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Klaasgras
Post subject: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 2:14 pm
Hello to you all,

I discovered this forum a few days ago and since I am interested in marine warfare, I decided to draw a Ship. I came up with a idea to give the old fashioned gunboat a second start. So I drew one this afternoon, but unfortunately, I have some problems, I cant seem to get the good font size. The template says it shoudl be Arial 14, but that looks way to big compared to others drawings I have seen. Can someone help me with this issue?

Edit:

Here it is, my Amphibious Fire Support ship, or AFSS. It is designed to support amphibious operations with gun fire. It further carries 16 Tomahawk cruise missiles for precision attacks.

[ img ]

Comments please!

Last edited by Klaasgras on October 18th, 2011, 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Which program do you use? In Paint.NET you have to use Arial 10 for the ships name and 7 for the credits

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:01 pm
and you must save in PNG or GIF

[Profile] [Quote]
Klaasgras
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:03 pm
Sorry, I had issues with Photobucket. Now it should look good.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:04 pm
Is that a 76 mm gun you have on her? If so, replace it immidietly. For shore bombardement you`re going to need something much bigger. 5 or 6 inch is also too small. This is why there still are two Iowas in mothball.

[Profile] [Quote]
Klaasgras
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:05 pm
No, according to the partsheets, it is a 155 mm gun.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:20 pm
Hmm.

1) The ship is not built on "Stealth" technology. For a ship operating off the coast, it is unacceptable.

2) It is unclear why the direct support ship armed with "Tomahawks." Any light missiles, damage radius to 250 km would have been much better.

3) There is no defense. RAM or battery ESSM extremely important - or ship can destroy even a single missile.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:27 pm
Karle94 wrote:
Is that a 76 mm gun you have on her? If so, replace it immidietly. For shore bombardement you`re going to need something much bigger. 5 or 6 inch is also too small. This is why there still are two Iowas in mothball.
No, they are there so the politicians can get away with cancelling all the serious NGFS solutions.
Of course that's a hollow reassurance since they are well beyond economical reactivation by now.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Klaasgras
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:32 pm
I understand your points. The Tomahawk are indeed a bit too much, does anyone has a better SSM.

About the stealht part: I have tried to make it a bit stealthy. But since it is my first ever drawing, I will have to look at it again and redraw some parts. Perhaps you can say which parts should be better.

I do not agree with you about de defence. It is equipped with a Goalkeeper CIWS for short range defence against aircraft and missiles. Because it will only feature action in a amphibious attack, it can rely on long range missile defence from other ships of the taskforce.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:34 pm
Correct me, if that, but I think supplie of 16-inch shells in the U.S. Navy was exhausted ...
Quote:
I understand your points. The Tomahawk are indeed a bit too much, does anyone has a better SSM.
This system should only be NATO's or not?

Last edited by Dilandu on October 18th, 2011, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 38 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: