Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 9  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 69 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: 1920s Costal battleship design challenge.Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 4:51 am
JSB wrote:
You know when you think you have a good idea and then site down and realise it isn't :( .

What the Dutch should build.http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... chland.gif
They can even swap the engines for steam and get more speed for less range, so they can run from anything they cant kill.

I will have to go think more/harder.
JSB
That ship was among the wors, no armor, just guns. that means a small sloop, with guns can sink it! And it is also to big for this challenge. This Challenge is about "Coastal..." that means a ship that isn't to big to work at a Coastline with it's many tight places. not a ocean going ship.

Steam engine faster then Diesel... Hahahaha

Steam engine is big.. n massive.. very heavy. while an diesel engine is compact and light. Thus lighter the engine, thus more speed. and with lighter engnin yo can have better armor.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: 1920s Costal battleship design challenge.Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 10:21 am
heuhen wrote:
Steam engine is big.. n massive.. very heavy. while an diesel engine is compact and light. Thus lighter the engine, thus more speed. and with lighter engnin yo can have better armor.
In 2014 yes, but in 1930 ?

1930s Diesels light for power to weight ratio? I was under the impression that they went with diesels for the range but accepted less power than they could have fitted in had they gone for turbines. (like all the other CAs build)

Are they that bad, I thought all early CAs are tinclad ?
JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: 1920s Costal battleship design challenge.Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 1:03 pm
The engines on the pocket battleships turned out to be more powerful than expected. One of them was able to reach 29,5 kts in a speed test. Power to weight ratio was higher, but size was generally kept down to save weight. Steam turbines were more reliable though. Also of note, the Dutch had colonies, and as such, needed ocean going ships to reach them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: 1920s Costal battleship design challenge.Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 1:12 pm
Also, something to note is in places where there isn't a readily available supply of fuel-oil you might want to look into auxiliary solid fuel boilers.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: 1920s Costal battleship design challenge.Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 1:33 pm
I need to go looking for P/W compared to other CAs (where to find that ?), 29.5 is slow for a CA (31.5-35 looks normal) and the Deutschland's only have 2 (big) turrets so you should have lots of space for engine rooms ?

Also the Dutch navy was really just a guard force for the DEI (so oil is not a problem) and if you cant use British bases to refuel to get to it and back you might as well not fight for it as its lost already.(all the plans assumed you would be fighting with the British v the Japanese and you cant fight the full IJN yourself).

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: 1920s Costal battleship design challenge.Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 2:17 pm
JSB wrote:
I need to go looking for P/W compared to other CAs (where to find that ?), 29.5 is slow for a CA (31.5-35 looks normal) and the Deutschland's only have 2 (big) turrets so you should have lots of space for engine rooms ?
JSB
yes, but she was already to heavy. so if you replace here diesel engine with a steam engine, then you have to reduce on the armament and top speed, to compensate for the extra weight!

There is an reason why an Coastal defense ship like Bjorgvin class (Gorgon class) did only 14-16 knots. they wanted big gun on a small ship...

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: 1920s Costal battleship design challenge.Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 2:42 pm
Also, the Deutschland class are not really heavy cruisers. But very small battlecruisers. Outgun, and outrange enemy cruisers, whilst fast enough to escape battleships. Sound familiar?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 1920s Costal battleship design challenge.Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 2:47 pm
note, the dutch had almost bought (only they were invaded before construction started) 2 improved scharnhorst class battlecruisers. which are basically what was build to improve on the pocket battleships.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: 1920s Costal battleship design challenge.Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 3:04 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
note, the dutch had almost bought (only they were invaded before construction started) 2 improved scharnhorst class battlecruisers. which are basically what was build to improve on the pocket battleships.
Actually they were intended to counter IJN CA's in the NEI, not capital ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: 1920s Costal battleship design challenge.Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 3:06 pm
Heavy cruisers are the smalles type of capitol ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 9  [ 89 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 69 »

Jump to: