Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 29  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1029 »
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 27th, 2012, 1:00 am
sounds good
however unless you are a nation thats very close with Russia?
why all the Russian and SOviet weapons is your nation COmmunist or very close with the former Soviet Union?

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Cruel2BEkind
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 27th, 2012, 5:39 am
I like the way you made your map... You should add some more icons to it.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 27th, 2012, 8:59 am
I was thinking about Mk.41 VLS like on the Ticonderoga. VLS for Russian missiles could be significantly larger (I admit, I didn't check), so be wary of it.
Instead of AK-630's and 20mm MG's (btw. I'm not sure about nomenclature in the USA, but I was taught, that generally 20mm is a cannon, not a machine gun ;) I'd use Kashtan CIWS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashtan_CIWS
And a note on air group - VLS - due to its width, can't be extended too much to the bow, so I'm not sure wether 15 helos will be practical (but who knows?) and 12 sounds more reasonable - but I'm not sure of it, it's just a word of caution.
Good luck with designing! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 27th, 2012, 2:51 pm
First I want to clear this up: I get my INSPIRATION from Russian AND American systems. The only reason I am using their nomenclature is to tell you what it is based off of. We build all of our stuff in house, except for AEGIS.

eswube, I was considering using the Kashtan, but I don't know of any SB drawings of it. The reason I went with the AK-630 as a base was to hide it inside the hull more than the phalanx. The VLS would most likely be a Mk.41 but I was considering something like this:
[ img ]
(Please note that this VLS is from Gollevainen's Novogorod AU, and may not be used in any other AU besides his own)
The 20mm are man operated turrets for defense against small craft.

If I use the Kiev as a 'basis' for my carrier, then I will stick it in the bow, just ahead of the superstructure. The hangar bay is underneath the main deck, in the stern (I think), so I should still have enough space. If I have to I'll go with 12 or less helos. When I get to work on the ship drawing, I'll be sure to draw a top view of both the deck and hangar.

If I go with the Mistral setup, the VLS will eat into my accomodations, rather than Hangar space (I think), and Considering that the Mistral has a LOT of accomodation space, it shouldn't be a problem.

Cruel2BEkind, the map is still a heavy work in progress. I plan on adding highways, national parks, city-state borders, and military bases.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

Last edited by ezgo394 on July 27th, 2012, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 27th, 2012, 3:06 pm
You build this massive navy in-house????

Again, you should be looking at similar countries in your situation: Australia and New Zealand. If I were you, I'd basically mimic what they have. Otherwise this is just another wanked-out NS-style AU that nobody will end up paying attention to.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 27th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Colosseum's remarks were rather... ehkem... straightforward.
But to some extent he has a point. You can have a large defense industry that produces a wide variety of equipment in a relatively small country (like Israel, apartheid-era South Africa), but that wouldn't be ALL of the stuff (or even almost all).
If You would build most of Your ships in local shipyards, that would be ok (like Australia), but I doubt if it would make sense for a country this size to do all of it from domestic design. Some of it, certainly yes, but I'd leave some of it to cooperation or to license-production. The same applies to electronic equipment and armament.

Kashtan is on Russian Parts Sheet but under its other name: Kortika
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... ?f=16&t=46

This M-6 Kvant launcher is quadruple revolver style? (Question rather to Gollevainen ;) )
On the Russian Parts Sheet You can also find there (unfortunately only side view, no upper view) of Fort launcher (navalized S-300)
that is also revolver-like. Although I'm inclined to think that this particular type of launcher wouldn't fit well to Your CVH due to size. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SA-N- ... radar.JPEG

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 27th, 2012, 4:52 pm
I guess I should have specified.. Yes, electronics and armaments are license produced, with minor or no chages. Most of our arms will be bought from Russia, Germany, US, UK, and then torn down, rebuilt (for either parts commonality or changing caliber), and then produced in-house. The same goes for electronics, but those will most likely be bought from the US, in the form of AEGIS.
Ships, however, are going to be built by us.

Kashtan/Kortika, I see that now, but that looks like a forward view only. Is there a side view?

As for the launcher, I think you are right. It looks like a quad revolver design, and that's why I chose it.
I see the Fort Launcher. it looks to me like the missile may not be too big, but the unit itself may be. I don't know if it could be shortened down to two revolvers, but I don't see why not.

Thank you all for your comments and feedback.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 27th, 2012, 5:15 pm
Ah, so it's ok then. :)
I don't know if there is any other view. You'll probably have to check if it's not placed on some other drawing (Russian and perhaps Indian) - either in the main Archive or on forum.
Probably it could be shortened to two revolvers, but You'd get relatively few missiles (16) in relatively big launcher.
I hope You're not having any bad feelings for my nit-picking?

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 27th, 2012, 5:35 pm
Ok, I'll look around and see if I find anything.
Yeah, shortening it may not be the best option. Or maybe if I aranged it in a square rather than a line, then I might be able to fit it.

I wouldn't say you're nit-picking, but nit-picking or not, I really do appreciate your help.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 27th, 2012, 6:13 pm
You buy the weapons and then strip them down and rebarrel them? That's idiotic. Produce them yourselves if you're going to go to that kind of effort.

Also, you need to pick a style of military and stick with it. You just can't say "we use Russian, US, UK, French, German, etc etc" basically cherrypicking things you think are cool. It just doesn't make sense.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 29  [ 282 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1029 »

Jump to: