Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 19 of 145  [ 1450 posts ]  Go to page « 117 18 19 20 21145 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD scale vehicle/aircraft request threadPosted: January 12th, 2013, 6:59 pm
Apparently Spey on Mirage III too.

In a footnote, he mentions that the Spey-engined Mirage IIIK was proposed to the RAF as a Hunter replacement in 1964, "with the full backing of Rolls Royce": sounds to me like another round of RR's anything-to-undermine-the-Harrier campaign to me... :rolleyes: He confirms that the Spey-Mirage did NOT need a larger fuselage, since the Spey had a smaller diameter than both the Atar and the Avon, although he doesn't mention the issues of air intake mass-flow and rear fuselage cooling. The latter was the reason for the Kfir's enlarged rear fuselage BTW: the J-79 is actually narrower than the Atar. With the Spey being a turbofan, I'd imagine that the duct wall temperature between the core and the afterburner would be lower than the J-79, although it might well have needed a Kfir-style fintake for afterburner cooling.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php ... 54.40;wap2

(also a mention on Wiki article on Mirage III)

Maybe these are not the best sources, but some they are.
(But I'm not an expert on that, so maybe I'm wrong)

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: FD scale vehicle/aircraft request threadPosted: January 12th, 2013, 8:42 pm
eswube wrote:
sounds to me like another round of RR's anything-to-undermine-the-Harrier campaign to me... :rolleyes:
Huh, why? That was powered by a RR engine.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD scale vehicle/aircraft request threadPosted: January 12th, 2013, 9:04 pm
Don't ask me, but try to find answer in the link. I was just quoting (sorry, for not making it clear enough - my fault).

EDIT: apparently I'm bit absent-minded today. I can give You that answer right away. Harrier's Pegasus engine was originally designed by Bristol-Siddeley Engines Ltd (and for the P.1154 the Bristol-Siddeley BS100 engine was planned), which was taken over by Rolls-Royce only in 1966 - while the discussed situation takes place around 1964.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: FD scale vehicle/aircraft request threadPosted: January 15th, 2013, 12:10 pm
Quote:
Any quality Avon- or Spey-engined Mirages around? Or any Spey-re-engined birds since we're at it?
IIRC, the Aussie Mirage's came close to having the Avon, as a better engine, but for various reasons it never happened.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: FD scale vehicle/aircraft request threadPosted: January 17th, 2013, 3:49 am
Blackscorpy wrote:
Any quality Avon- or Spey-engined Mirages around? Or any Spey-re-engined birds since we're at it?
I've drawn just about every Mirage III variant that ever entered production in the FD scale threads and posted the blank IIIC/IIIE templates. The Avon Mirage would need a few minor details, like extra access panels, I believe, but it would be a fairly easy fix.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: FD scale vehicle/aircraft request threadPosted: January 17th, 2013, 5:26 am
IL-96-400 s'il vous plait.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: FD scale vehicle/aircraft request threadPosted: January 17th, 2013, 5:33 am
Oh, that's going to be a toughie.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: FD scale vehicle/aircraft request threadPosted: January 17th, 2013, 6:41 pm
Also, A340 (all versions) please.

And if I could get an MD-11 too, that would be great.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD scale vehicle/aircraft request threadPosted: January 17th, 2013, 8:21 pm
Boeing B737-300 and -400. Please. :)

I wouldn't have anything against someone doing B767-200 and -300. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackscorpy
Post subject: Re: FD scale vehicle/aircraft request threadPosted: January 18th, 2013, 2:47 pm
eswube wrote:
Apparently Spey on Mirage III too.

In a footnote, he mentions that the Spey-engined Mirage IIIK was proposed to the RAF as a Hunter replacement in 1964, "with the full backing of Rolls Royce": sounds to me like another round of RR's anything-to-undermine-the-Harrier campaign to me... :rolleyes: He confirms that the Spey-Mirage did NOT need a larger fuselage, since the Spey had a smaller diameter than both the Atar and the Avon, although he doesn't mention the issues of air intake mass-flow and rear fuselage cooling. The latter was the reason for the Kfir's enlarged rear fuselage BTW: the J-79 is actually narrower than the Atar. With the Spey being a turbofan, I'd imagine that the duct wall temperature between the core and the afterburner would be lower than the J-79, although it might well have needed a Kfir-style fintake for afterburner cooling.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php ... 54.40;wap2

(also a mention on Wiki article on Mirage III)

Maybe these are not the best sources, but some they are.
(But I'm not an expert on that, so maybe I'm wrong)
Yep, the Spey-engined Mirage IIIK and IVK were the ones I was after, mainly. With the Avon M.III being a nice plus. I'm building an AU nation, slowly, and atm quite a few of the mid-CW aircraft might just be Spey powered, for commonality, fuel efficiency and the habit of flying low over the Northern Atlantic regions. Although I've also heard nice things about the Atar maintenance and handling qualities...

There were also talks about Spey-engined F-100 Super Sabre, A-4 Skyhawk and F-8 Crusader, to mention a few. And of course, the Phantom and A-7 got the things anyways. More projects here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/i ... 471.0.html

And for the Mirage IVK: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/i ... 299.0.html

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 19 of 145  [ 1450 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 117 18 19 20 21145 »

Jump to: