Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Shipright
Post subject: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 12:54 pm
Japan unveils largest warship since World War II

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... 6-05-19-06

[ img ]

I have been waiting for these to make their entrance, seems like some very good kit to me but I really do wish they would just stop dancing around it and just build a proper carrier.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 1:11 pm
What is the point in having it if they aren't allowed to use it properly?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 1:13 pm
APDAF wrote:
What is the point in having it if they aren't allowed to use it properly?
they are currently in the progress of changing their constitution, which will allow them to use it properly

that said, I am interested what the reasons are for the size increase.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 2:06 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
that said, I am interested what the reasons are for the size increase.
China.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 2:14 pm
well, having done a bit of a lookaround, there are up to 14 helicopters on board, but stationed on the ship will only be 9 for now. the elevators seem to be too small for V-22 and F-35B. what is the additional capability over the hyuga? only more deck spots and more hangar space. any other reason? now, that I am interested in.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 2:19 pm
[ img ]

Aft elevator probably can handle F-35.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 3:18 pm
Obviously if you are looking to be a ASW platform more helicopters and operating them at the same time is a boon over the Hyuga, though I agree more hyugas would probably be a better deal.

Where this really shines as far as its STATED mission is the offshore disaster relief role. Here space for hospitals and stores and refugees as well as the increased helicopter compliment and sortie rate are very helpful.

In reality it is definetly designed with VTOL capabilities in mind, the question is when will the Japanese get around to it for both procurment and political reasons. No harm in future proofing your designs if you can afford the up front costs of capability vacancy.

Here is another pic.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 3:44 pm
makes more sense, yeah. all in all, I would really hope they stepped away from the DDH designation though, we now have something similar to the HMS ocean called an destroyer.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bullfrog
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 4:13 pm
They're still playing the rather silly game of trying to be seen to obey Article 9, as in not maintaining land, sea,and air forces, as well as other war potential, How Ageis destroyers don't count as as war potential is anybody's guess.
The modern interpretation seems to be that forces can only be maintained for self defense, An aircraft carrier is the ultimate form of force projection and calling it an LPH or Helicopter carrier sounds too offensive but naming it after something so benign as a Destroyer is supposedly ok for them. There seems to be a Japanese culture where if you can make it look like you're obeying the rules on paper, even if you're obviously not then no-one seems to care too much.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 4:33 pm
Shipright wrote:
In reality it is definetly designed with VTOL capabilities in mind, the question is when will the Japanese get around to it for both procurment and political reasons. No harm in future proofing your designs if you can afford the up front costs of capability vacancy.
Or, as an acquaintance of mine has said "Steel is cheap* and air is free".

*That is to say that hull steel is much lower cost than things like electronics, machinery, or even aluminium.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: