Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ••••Posted: September 8th, 2013, 7:47 pm
Best to let TimothyC chime in as he's the go-to person for intellectual property/copyright issues on the staff.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bullfrog
Post subject: Re: ••••Posted: September 8th, 2013, 8:31 pm
I've asked about commercial use before, I'll post his response here to save him the trouble of posting again,
Quote:
Hello Bullfrog, I am Timothy Cizadlo, the general point of contact for copyright and fair use issues. The standing practice is to handle requests for commercial use on a case-by-case basis. The obvious original rights-holders are the individual artists. The generalized licnese that is the basis of our fair use agreement is Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported. May I inquire as to the nature of your inquiry (so that I might better answer your questions)?

Sincerely,

Timothy Cizadlo
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... f=5&t=4144

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: ••••Posted: September 8th, 2013, 8:35 pm
chime it down?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: ••••Posted: September 11th, 2013, 12:32 am
Bullfrog wrote:
Ah, I did miss the first post, I assumed that $25 had been offered,

The licence agreement on the site allows any and all commercial use as long as credit is given , no payment or other reciprocation is required.
The validity of the license on shipbucket images is also questionable since it is granted by a 3rd party site and not the creator/owner of the content, but that's a trivial debate for another day...
All original rights still maintained by the original artists, and that includes the right to sell their work. By submitting it to an upload session, they are allowing Shipbucket to host a copy of their work under the fair use agreement. Also, the credit requirements can be interpreted as stringent enough that maintaining proper credit in a non-digital medium is not easy - much easier for the using organization to go to the original artist and get whatever is needed from them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: