Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 7  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Un-Official Shipbucket Civilian ChallengePosted: November 9th, 2013, 10:45 pm
not done yet, but close to it, and I just wanted to post something nice instead of all the advice, comments and other talk of today :P
[ img ]
yeah, I love classic ocean liner designs :P

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Un-Official Shipbucket Civilian ChallengePosted: November 9th, 2013, 10:57 pm
ah the classic look.

- the funnel-mast thingy. if that is funnel. isn't it going to be a tad small in size. compared to min for example that is based on a real world design that i modified to fit. or have you gone for the real man old school Gentleman steam...

BTW. my 5-cent:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/887 ... %20014.png

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Un-Official Shipbucket Civilian ChallengePosted: November 9th, 2013, 11:00 pm
the funnel works, as long as the diesel generators don't go that way ;) (there are also 2)
and I am not done Heuhen, there's still a lot to do to make things look good without having to go for expensive curves just for looks ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Un-Official Shipbucket Civilian ChallengePosted: November 9th, 2013, 11:03 pm
Quote:
the funnel works, as long as the diesel generators don't go that way ;) (there are also 2)
just like me two funnels of awesomeness. While mine is more for the masculine looks. I think you'r vessel might get a good touch of the female look... If you know what I mean! 8-)
Quote:
and I am not done Heuhen, there's still a lot to do to make things look good without having to go for expensive curves just for looks ;)
Yeah, I was just pondering around, while I was looking at it! ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: Un-Official Shipbucket Civilian ChallengePosted: November 10th, 2013, 9:36 am
Lovely drawing, heuhen. Although it feels a bit stretched to me. I think it could benefit from being about 200 ft shorter at the stern.

I also like ace's design but I agree with heuhen's on the funnel. I've been on ferries similar to this design on the Long Island sound crossing, love the style!

Great thread and if I can manage it, I'd love to participate.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Un-Official Shipbucket Civilian ChallengePosted: November 10th, 2013, 11:32 am
Charybdis wrote:
Lovely drawing, heuhen. Although it feels a bit stretched to me. I think it could benefit from being about 200 ft shorter at the stern.

If I did that I would loos 1/3 of the car capacity of the ferry.

the length of the vessels is inside the limits. it is also not as beamy as Ace's ferrys. but at the same time I have similar car capacity as him. The reason for my ferry to not be so beamy is because I wanted that little extra sea-capability when traveling with or up against weather. but I do also get a tiny better full consumption, (but that depends on the engine setup). main design have the advantage to be an three stage design layout. that mean more customers can be interested in this design and thus cut down the cost of the ferry.

stage 1 design layout: two large car decks, cabin areas and a cargo deck aft. Some ferry companies want that.
Stage 2 design layout: two large car decks, large superstructure with a lot of cabin, lounge and restaurant space.
Stage 3 design layout: two large car decks, and a supper-sized superstructure.

But the paint work do also affect the stretch look to!

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Un-Official Shipbucket Civilian ChallengePosted: November 10th, 2013, 5:48 pm
Your ship Ace looks short and high, more like a modern car carrier than a ferry. The propellers look too small for a ship of this size.
But over all I like your design and hope to see it completed.
(A side note is the fact, that although I draw only merchant ships, I can't design one. I have not enough knowledge to do that, and so I've refrained from participating)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Un-Official Shipbucket Civilian ChallengePosted: November 10th, 2013, 5:53 pm
the dimensions are based on that of modern north sea ferry's (and the exported designs of these) by IHC shipyards.
the height of the hull is actually because I put all car decks above the waterline for safety reasons. stability reasons showed I also could not do this on an hull with less beam.
I will look into those propellers though...
and novice, any try is an good one. I've had real trouble with this one, as can be seen from the slow progress, and your experience in drawing merchant ships would put you ahead where my skills lack ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Un-Official Shipbucket Civilian ChallengePosted: November 10th, 2013, 7:58 pm
Thank you ace for your vote of confidence. Unfortunately I can't work out the requirements into drawing here.
Having two car deck on so and so weight (or displacement) is beyond my understanding. I don't know how to calculate hull weight, or hull shape. Previous challenges made by me were only kitbashes :(

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Un-Official Shipbucket Civilian ChallengePosted: November 10th, 2013, 8:08 pm
if you would like to know how I estimate, I love to give back things I have learned ;) sizes and displacement is relatively easy to grasp, that is, when you get to know how it works.
that said, my ship IS overweight etc because I choose an hull shape fitting the car deck requirements and the reference ship parameters and finetuned those together and ended up with an simple requirement.... car decks below the waterline, or a bigger ship. you can see what I have chosen :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 7  [ 62 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: