Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 11 of 23  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page « 19 10 11 12 1323 »
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: November 10th, 2013, 4:23 am
Tagger 1-1 wrote:
By this time the focus of the USN had rightfully shifted away from guns to missiles, and I think we can look to the historical record as enough proof that the 8" system you depict was not feasible.

The shading below the bow knuckle is pleasing. Good work otherwise.

S/F Tagger sends
Actually, there was a shift to all missiles in the Leahy, Bainbridge and Long beach, but as you can clearly see on, all ships after that guns came back. If your logic were true the Mk 45 would never have been developed

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: November 10th, 2013, 4:24 am
klagldsf wrote:
Tagger 1-1 wrote:
The reason it was not used in real life is because of the rise of missiles
The Mk 71 was originally envisioned to provide naval gunfire support (otherwise known as NGS) where it was believed a gun would be cheaper and more efficient than lobbing missiles in an environment rich with small and disparate targets (namely troop concentrations, armor concentrations and small-scale, concealed defensive emplacements). It was canceled because the USN believed that the R&D investment did not justify the weapon system supplanting current systems used for that mission, but that is not the same thing as the system being under-optimized or obsolete for that specific mission requirement.
This ship probably would have showed its value during the Lebanon bombardment.

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Flight II aegis/spy-1 teaserPosted: November 10th, 2013, 5:12 am
Ok, where is the flight II ship. I need to fix a couple of things still but I thought I'd show you all how the flight I will evolve

[ img ]

Comments and suggestions always welcome

Joe

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: November 10th, 2013, 1:07 pm
Having been drawn into this thread by the Tagger debacle, I have to say that it's a beautiful ship, BUT... I'd go back to the shorter version as a base. Adding that much lenght just to put an extra set of ABL's on it is not really justified, especially since it doesn't give rise to a corresponding increase in the magazine space of the other missile weapons. The MK-26 was never designed with a magazine larger than 64 missiles.

The Aegis update looks nice, although I'd change the aft deckhouse a bit more. Especially the early versions of Aegis took up quite a bit of space.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: November 10th, 2013, 4:20 pm
I would just extend it back flash with the stack.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: November 10th, 2013, 7:05 pm
I'd sacrifice the fore ABLs and the aft gun.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: November 12th, 2013, 6:17 am
In mid 1970's single Tomahawk boxes where also proposed together with the ABL.There are somewhere in the old part sheets in triple configuration.(Though I do not remember if hese are AU part or never built).

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: November 13th, 2013, 12:14 am
The decision to drop MK 71 went over like a lead balloon with the amphip types that REALLY wanted that kind of gunfire support, or so I was told by some shipmates that went to ships of that type. The tests on a Forrest Sherman were generally very successful (if rather too big for a ship of that size).

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: November 18th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Ok, i have heard the masses and I'm going back to the smaller hull. I'll post undates a soon as I can. For now i have some questions for the buckets mass intelligence. First, hull number. Taking into account my back story, this ship was designed fir aegis and spy 1 so there was never a Ticonderoga class as we know it. Now we have to take into account that the Virginia class was supposed to be mass produced. Question is, in that scenario, how many hull numbers would have been set aside for the Virginias? This should give me a starting point for my hull number.

Next question is would this cruiser had been bended after a state?

Does anyone know approximately when all ships masts were being painted grey?

I would appreciate any and all help :-)

Thank you

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 70's-80's CSGPosted: November 18th, 2013, 12:44 pm
virginia mass production would be CGN-42 class? that was the only way more virginia's would have been build, I think. the numbers of those would have been at least 4 (before cancellation) and go up to 2 per nuclear carrier at that time (authorisation in FY 79-83)
I think this ship might have been build instead of repeat virginia's though, so CG-42 and further would fit it too. especially as there is an non-aegis variant, I would suppose it would be pre-CGN-42 design.
the grey masts were between 1990-1995 on the spruance and kidd classes, which I think would be what this would be based on.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 11 of 23  [ 225 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 19 10 11 12 1323 »

Jump to: