Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 7  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 13th, 2013, 4:36 pm
Just to be clear, CVAN-65 is still something I'd like to finish myself.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 13th, 2013, 6:26 pm
About some fucking time... 8-)

(meaning that you guys actually start doing these carriers...Did I boast something in the past about doing them myself if none dared :? :roll: :oops: )

Fooling around aside, I'm looking into these greatly. Don't forget the topviews as those kinda determs who is who when doing carriers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 13th, 2013, 7:27 pm
Add me to that shared folder BTW... ibroberts@gmail.com

Pick a specific ship and draw all its iterations throughout the years, then move onto the next one. With a bunch of folks working on it, should be relatively easy to finish it quickly.

Several tasks as I see it:

1. Assembling as much reference material as possible and sorting it into specific folders for each "evolution" of the ship.

2. Assembling all the correct parts and assuring that they are the most recent version drawn and also that they are the correct mark or mod of that part for the iteration of the ship in question.

3. Defining the iterations (probably should be step 1).

4. Actually drawing the ship. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 13th, 2013, 8:45 pm
I have cleaned that drawing that was posted earlier. THIS DRAWING IS ONLY FOR GUIDELINE USE!! (It's up to you boys, I call it a guideline drawing since I had to resize the original drawing a lot. that gives more chances for errors in the drawing it self.). by that I mean that you draw the carrier above this or use some of it as help tool. I have done it as simple as possible, so many details on the original drawing is gone. some round edge is now straight corner.

USS Forrestal Guidline drawing (Low detail level)!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/887 ... restal.PNG

I can do similar things in the future. if people knows what is going to be one of the next drawing and more time I get more detail I can leave in the drawing! You boys can call me for "the outsider"!

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 13th, 2013, 9:09 pm
Tagger 1-1 wrote:
MihoshiK wrote:
Tagger 1-1 wrote:
Hello Charybis,

In the prior thread, I had discussed by wishes to draw FORRESTAL. Might I suggest that you choose another topic? CV-67 KENNEDY, perhaps?

S/F TAGGER SENDS
Might I suggest first showing proof that you are actually capable of the level of artistry needed to correctly depict a USN carrier? It's a bit premature to claim one of the more massive and complicated ships to draw when you haven't actually shown us anything but a hastily removed drawing in another thread.
Hello MishoiK,

I apologise heartily for any offence, but the drawing I had was inundated with negative criticism: hence its removal.

Perhaps in the future, the moderation staff might assist a newbie with NOT being curbstomped by the veterans when they post their first designs? That would be a welcome change.

S/F TAGGER SENDS
Cry me a river. You do not modify other people's drawings without permission, and certainly not when you're a newbie. If others than critisize an apparently poor mod, and you huff an puff and act all high and mighty, then that just shows you can't handle critisism very well. Spacebattles Style is well defined. People WILL tell you if you fuck it up.
Frankly the Staff opinion over you is low. If I were you I'd retreat to the Beginners forum, post some honest work, and above all, not act like you're God's own gift to this forum. .

And do not talk back to me. You lack the capital to do so.

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 12:58 am
Ok, I've added a few guys to the source folder and, after a trip to the library, I found a nice drawng of Forrestal "as built" in 1955.

So far "in" we have:

Rodondo
acelanceloet
bezobrazov
Colosseum
TimothyC

Heuhen, thanks for your fine work on the wireframe. It's looking really good. We'll need to make a few measurements to make sure the original drawing was accurate and then we can use it as the base. PM me your email and I'll add you to the dropbox folder.

@TimothyC No problem with wanting to finish the big E but if we can get CV-4 finished and in the archive, I'll be happy, whoever does it.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 12:02 pm
I mesured IT at waterline. Wiki: waterline 300 meter

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 2:45 pm
heuhen, are you referring to the Forrestals? If so, their LWL did differ, even when as completed; between 301-303 meters, without too extreme difference of their draughts. I guess calculating it as approx 302 meters would give a perfect compromise.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 3:28 pm
I looked only at CV-59. and she is writen up in wiki with 300 meters.

If there is difference of 1 to 3 meters from ship to ship. those meters would either be placed as extra meters in front of the island or behind it. or both.

but then again the original drawing that I used isn't perfect either.

I can't do it better as an basic guideline drawing, with no perfect reference. when you boys decide what is going to be the next ship to draw, and have very good reference drawing of it, you boys can send it to me (either re-scale it before I get it, or I will re-scale it. Just need to know the exact size.). then just tell me how exact the guidline/basic drawing need to be. from as simple as I did the USS Forrestal, to a bit more...

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 3:28 pm
Guys let's take the measurements from a good reference (like Friedman's Carriers). There should be no fooling around with these ships - every measurement should be taken into account to ensure absolute accuracy. That means LOA, LWL, and LPP and also overall height if possible. Don't allow any room for error otherwise you'll just end up having to redo everything later on.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 7  [ 67 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: