Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 7  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 3:35 pm
Friedman, in Appendix E of his work on US Aircraft carriers, gives the dimensions for CVA-59 as: LOA as 1039 feet 0 inches; LWL 990 feet 0 inches; Hull Depth of 97 feet 4 inches.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 3:50 pm
If the boys give me very good data of size, it would help a lot. for more accurate I am on the guideline drawing, lees work it will be for them.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 5:04 pm
I agree with both colo and TJ. (Of course, being at work, I don't have access to my Friedman, or Terzibatschisch' (?) carrier book. But it should be noted that the Ranger and Independence did differ (albeit slightly) in dimensions compared to the Forrestal and Sara. How this might translate into shipbucket measurements is a wholly different matter altogether, given the approximation of the pixel-measurement in use, so it might in the end be quite negible. Also, when measuring the official LWL of the FOrrestal, (990 ft) it is not 300 meters but rather 301.75 meters; a considerable difference. (Given an Imperial feet of 30.48 cm) We also know that (officially) the four sisters differed in oa length, with Forrestal at 1070 ft being the longest and Ranger at 1024 being the shortest.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 5:05 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
I agree with both colo and TJ. (Of course, being at work, I don't have access to my Friedman, or Terzibatschisch' (?) carrier book. But it should be noted that the Ranger and Independence did differ (albeit slightly) in dimensions compared to the Forrestal and Sara. How this might translate into shipbucket measurements is a wholly different matter altogether, given the approximation of the pixel-measurement in use, so it might in the end be quite negible. Also, when measuring the official LWL of the FOrrestal, (990 ft) it is not 300 meters but rather 301.75 meters; a considerable difference. (Given an Imperial feet of 30.48 cm) We also know that (officially) the four sisters differed in oa length, with Forrestal at 1070 ft being the longest and Ranger at 1024 being the shortest.
I don't doubt you, but if you could provide your source for the differing lengths, I would be appreciative.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 5:36 pm
Let me get home and dig some...I believe I have the books out necessary for this.

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 5:57 pm
This is from the builders plans for Saratoga.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 7:06 pm
Don't worry boys: TimothyC. have given me he most perfect references to work from. and I have scaled it and every thing. I am at the moment cleaning the side view, and mark out where the biggest things are. I'll try to have it finish as early as possible. top view and the other side view will come during the next days.

Since I have now been given very accurate drawings: I will be able to do as close to perfect job on the outlining of the ship, and mark up the biggest thing on here!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Charybdis, that's awesome!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 8:27 pm
Charybdis

you did get my pm! just for checking!

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: Hello USS ForrestalPosted: November 14th, 2013, 8:35 pm
Yes, I added you to the folder, you should have access now... ;)

Looking forward to your next drawing.

Just found this fascinating documentary on the construction of Forrestal

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 7  [ 67 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: