Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 59 of 76  [ 756 posts ]  Go to page « 157 58 59 60 6176 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 8th, 2014, 1:47 pm
That is possibly the most wastefully sized AWACS I've ever seen. For all intensive purposes it is Erieye which would be more at home on something like a Global Express than a full size airliner like you've got here. If it were me I'd either go for a larger, more capable array than the Erieye style one you currently have or downsize the aircraft size...

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 8th, 2014, 6:27 pm
That AC-120 series is a nice design, but Blackbuck is right in that Erieye on that is simply a waste of airframe capacity.
If You wouldn't have the E-3-ish rotodome, then maybe think of something like IAI Phalcon?

EDIT: And btw. regarding Your question from another (related) thread about possible Turkish strike aircraft: I guess in the short term Turkey would probably try to get more F-100 Super Sabres (they were major user anyway). A-7's in the longer term? Perhaps.
On the other hand, I doubt about medium bomber - although in the first place it should be defined what it is supposed to be? Something like Tu-22 or B-58? or FB-111? After the WW2 aircraft were rarely defined like that. Anyway, on the one hand list of real-life potential candidates would be extremely short, and probability that Turkey could develop that domestically extremely slim (actually: that any non-major power country could develop these). And getting such plane from Soviet Union for a country with any kind of NATO membership... just NO.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 8th, 2014, 7:00 pm
Indeed, the AC-120 is too large for Erieye -this was a design just for fun and looked good also- something like EMB-145 or Global Express is that I need for Erieye.

But what about a radar with two AESA antennas back to back above fuselage like this (based on ELTA EL/M-2075):

[ img ]

Which radar position is more plausible?

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 11th, 2014, 4:40 am
How a radar like above would perform?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 11th, 2014, 9:22 am
You'd probably be better off mounting the arrays like the Israeli radar. I'd imagine there would be less drag and other aerodynamic concerns that way.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 11th, 2014, 2:40 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
You'd probably be better off mounting the arrays like the Israeli radar. I'd imagine there would be less drag and other aerodynamic concerns that way.
An AC-122 AWACS similar with G550 Falcon is that you mean?

I think however that second radar with the straight antenna is comparable with a Wegdetail radar in drag, if I move the antenna a bit backwards.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 11th, 2014, 2:56 pm
Aye, the conformal layout.

You might want to streamline the mounting a bit if you intend to keep it where it is, remember that the main part of the MESA array is in the fin so to speak rather than the top hat which IIRC mainly contains the IFF systems and coverage fore and aft for the radar.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 11th, 2014, 3:24 pm
In AC-122 fin has fuel tank, so it could not fit electronics. Both versions will be done, a streamlined top-mounted antenna and a conformal one to choose from. Of course previous Erieye on Fokker-derived airframe replaced with this.

Another radar could be the EL/M 2090, an AESA radar inside a dome, but I think that this is too heavy for an airframe roughly the size of a MD-87.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 11th, 2014, 4:40 pm
I meant fin as in the array. Not the aircraft. I'll post a mockup in this post, keep your eyes peeled.

ETA
This is what I meant :)
[ img ]
I also had the thought cross my mind that the IFR probe could be better placed and that seeing as it is an AEW platform, the windows should go...

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: August 11th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Thank you a lot Blackbuck, she is perfect now, with AESA radar based on Elta EL/M 2075 and manufactured in HLK.

I copied the IFR probe from VC10, this choice was the easier way (I think).

This radar should be superior than Erieye but inferior to MESA, right?

P.S This version without windows could also used for EW and MPA?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 59 of 76  [ 756 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 157 58 59 60 6176 »

Jump to: