Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ] 
Jacky Tar
Post subject: Canada - Orca class Patrol Craft, TrainingPosted: February 16th, 2015, 6:13 pm
Previously submitted in the Beginner's forum and tweaked there. No comments on it in over a year now, so at Gollevainen's suggestion, here it is. I should also note that Carnac had previously posted an Orca drawing as well (http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =12&t=1260). I didn't know that at the time I started on my version or I wouldn't have done so, so as not to step on his toes.

[ img ]

Class composition:
PCT 55 Orca
PCT 56 Raven
PCT 57 Caribou
PCT 58 Renard
PCT 59 Wolf
PCT 60 Grizzly
PCT 61 Cougar
PCT 62 Moose

Specifications:
Displacement: 210 tonnes
Length: 33 m
Beam: 8.34 m
Draft: 2.6 m
Machinery: 2 x Caterpillar 3516B diesel engines, 2500 shp @ 1600 rpm; each driving 1 screw
Speed: 20 kts
Crew: 4
Accommodation: 4 crew, 20 instructors/students
Armament: Normally unarmed; can be fitted with 1 x 12.7mm M2 machine gun on fo'c'sle (2 so fitted for harbour security during 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC)

NOTE: These are not commissioned warships of the RCN and as such do not bear the prefix HMCS.

References:
1) View from stbd side looking port and aft
2) View from port side looking stbd
3) Courtesy of Rodondo - Stbd side profile
4) Royal Canadian Navy page on Orca class
5) Wikipedia page on Orca class

In progress: ASL-20 HMCS Cormorant

May try next: HMCS Oriole, STV Goldcrest, Bluenose II

[Profile] [Quote]
Radome
Post subject: Re: Canada - Orca class Patrol Craft, TrainingPosted: February 16th, 2015, 7:17 pm
It's very good for a start!
I think you should use some shade on it, as it is now it looks kinda flat.
Some of the pieces should be outlined in black like the anchor, crane, doors and hatches.
Also in my opinion you should use diffrent tone colors for the hull and structure. Abit darker tone for hull and lighter for structure.

[Profile] [Quote]
Jacky Tar
Post subject: Re: Canada - Orca class Patrol Craft, TrainingPosted: February 17th, 2015, 5:31 pm
Re: shading - my understanding is that we're supposed to use no more than three shades of the basic hull/superstructure colours - a lighter colour for highlights, and a darker colour for some shadowing (e.g., the hull strake forward). I can try tweaking the colour for more shading separation, though.

Outlining - I'll give the doors/hatches a go at outlining in black. I'm kind of reluctant to screw around with the crane since I just grabbed it off a parts sheet.

Thanks for the feedback!

In progress: ASL-20 HMCS Cormorant

May try next: HMCS Oriole, STV Goldcrest, Bluenose II

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: