Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 56 of 76  [ 752 posts ]  Go to page « 154 55 56 57 5876 »
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Independent Federation of Australia AUPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 4:19 pm
You continue to add neat little touches that inspire the rest of us to up our game. There's a lot to love about this drawing, but I think my favorite part is the bright-white open hatches. The joints in the HF antennas are a close second.

Why the WM20 'egg' rather than a dish-only fire-control set? I can't imagine the little search antenna of the egg is getting you much when you've already got Smart-S. No get-me-home deployable thrusters like a Perry has? Do you really need two RHIBs? No UNREP gear or anything?

It's obviously a fantastic drawing and a well-thought-out design.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Independent Federation of Australia AUPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 4:42 pm
Two boats make sense to me although I'd maybe look at one larger than the other (possibly) - makes sense to still have one deployable if one is off boarding something or the like.

As for the egg, a LIROD or Stir 1.8 given the timeframe (a 1.2 would be preferable though) would seem to suffice for all your requirements there only being the 76mm to direct.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Independent Federation of Australia AUPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 4:53 pm
Two full-size RHIBs are definitely nice, I'm just wondering if I'd want to devote so much deck space to them on such a small ship. I might think about trying to nest them somehow, or stash a little baby inflatable somewhere else.

Not that I'm declaring myself an expert on the matter, but I wouldn't feel the need to have anything other than a rudimentary man-overboard boat when the primary boat is off boarding somebody, or something.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Independent Federation of Australia AUPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 5:01 pm
Very nice small ship the detailing is fantastic setting a very high standard 8-),
can I ask why two things have changed from the MEKO 140H pic I have seen?
- the TT not beside the hanger on flight deck to save handing ?
- no SSM ? (say harpoon behind the flight deck ?)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Independent Federation of Australia AUPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 5:18 pm
You have to worry about the height your torpedoes are fired from if you don't want them to die when they hit the water, mounting them on the quarterdeck like they are now alleviates most of the issues associated with firing from heigh whilst still locating them relatively close to your magazine.
You could get away with SSMs forward of the bridge if they were a necessity and you had the weight reserves for them still.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Independent Federation of Australia AUPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 5:31 pm
I tend to strongly favor same-deck SVTT for handling reasons, but a torpedo plus a cart only weighs 600lb or thereabouts. I'm sure you could pretty easily rig a handling boom over the side of the flight deck.

Regarding missiles of any kind, they sort of feel like overkill for a ship like this. It's only barely more capable than a large coast guard cutter in the first place, and that's okay. That's basically what it is!

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Independent Federation of Australia AUPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 11:02 pm
Thanks for the comments guys. My idea was to make the MEKO 140 into a cutter style vessel to patrol the deeper sections of Australia's EEZ. I deliberately left them lightly armed for this reason. But, they have the ability to be more heavily armed if required. I am considering drawing a more heavily armed variant to display this. I am also going to draw a variant gifted to the Kingdom of Fiji.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Independent Federation of Australia AUPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 11:15 pm
erik_t wrote:
Two full-size RHIBs are definitely nice, I'm just wondering if I'd want to devote so much deck space to them on such a small ship. I might think about trying to nest them somehow, or stash a little baby inflatable somewhere else.

Not that I'm declaring myself an expert on the matter, but I wouldn't feel the need to have anything other than a rudimentary man-overboard boat when the primary boat is off boarding somebody, or something.
I would just go for one large and one that can in a couple minutes be inflated, but are stored "flat-packed" (A IKEA RHIB). But it all depends what task the boat is doing. But for me she is an Heavly armed OPV, designed for different task an OPV but "can" do "some" OPV task's.

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Independent Federation of Australia AUPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 11:29 pm
LEUT_East wrote:
I am considering drawing a more heavily armed variant to display this. I am also going to draw a variant gifted to the Kingdom of Fiji.
BOTH will be VERY interesting concepts I am more than sure matey :D

Just out of curiosity, may I ask what the relationship is like between the UK and the IFA please? Is the IFA still in the Commonwealth, or was it still a part of the ANZUK or the Five Power Defence Arrangements. I may have asked these questions before and if so, then I apologise.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Independent Federation of Australia AUPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 11:42 pm
Certainly if the goal is something straddling the line between a cutter and a light frigate, you can't really have too many ship's boats. Not like another 7m RHIB is a budget-breaker.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 56 of 76  [ 752 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 154 55 56 57 5876 »

Jump to: