[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: KHT ProjectsPosted: June 8th, 2016, 5:20 pm
Nice design. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: KHT ProjectsPosted: June 9th, 2016, 6:40 am
Hello KHT

A swedish Dreadnought - very nice, I like it very much. The best lies are those that contain 96% truth ;)

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: KHT ProjectsPosted: June 9th, 2016, 7:14 am
Howdy KHT,

From the drawing we have 636x83 feet. The drawing looks based on the German Derfflinger class hull with Scandinavian superstructures. The hull looks like it would be more capable of 27-28 knots or ditch the 12" for 14/15" weapons and you would still make the original 24 knot speed. You do not talk about armour, but the Derfflinger had a 12" belt which would be more than enough with the 12" guns and 27-28 knots, or with 14/15" guns increase the belt to 13" and retain the 24 knots. The worst feature is the 83 feet breadth which is fine for 12". The UK BB's with 13.5" start at 85 feet, and the 15" at 89 feet.

Hope that helps. NM.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: KHT ProjectsPosted: June 9th, 2016, 8:42 pm
Thanks all!

Garlic: What are you implying? ;)

Nigel: She has an armoured deck of three inches and belt of twelve, with the same as the latter in the turrets and barbettes. She's slightly above 20 000 tonnes in standard displacement. I like the modest dimensions.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: KHT ProjectsPosted: June 9th, 2016, 9:02 pm
Nothing wrong with a small one Hugo ;)

The hull you have drawn looks much faster than the speed you have given it. You have a lot of space between B turret and X turret which would normally be used for machinery rooms. You have more space available than would be needed to make your ship go 24 knots. Using UK powerplants of the time, you could fit 75,000shp in that space which would get your ship out to 27-28 knots. To get to 24 knots you would probably only require 45-50,000shp which would leave you a lot of unused space.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: KHT ProjectsPosted: June 10th, 2016, 11:28 am
Krakatoa wrote:
Nothing wrong with a small one Hugo ;)

The hull you have drawn looks much faster than the speed you have given it. You have a lot of space between B turret and X turret which would normally be used for machinery rooms. You have more space available than would be needed to make your ship go 24 knots. Using UK powerplants of the time, you could fit 75,000shp in that space which would get your ship out to 27-28 knots. To get to 24 knots you would probably only require 45-50,000shp which would leave you a lot of unused space.
Har har. I suppose you're showing me how to use what I have? ;)

I left a margin in the springsharp report of .10 CS for future modenizations, but using those I managed to get her up to 26 knots instead. Still, I don't think the space for improvement is a bad thing. You could of course have a point in that it's space that wouldn't end up being properly used either way, unless an increase in engine size and power is made, and that it results in a waste of displacement used for nothing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: KHT ProjectsPosted: June 10th, 2016, 12:08 pm
If you were elsewhere than Scandinavia, you could probably use the extra space for extra bunkerage to really get some long range going.

Going forward for your modernisation, modern propulsion units were smaller and lighter for the same horsepower. Most countries used the extra weight saved to increase deck armour. Bulges would be fitted to ameliorate topweight additions for extra secondaries and AA, but also the extra weight of the radar at the mast heads and gunnery directors all over the bigger bridge superstructures, added weight for aircraft handling facilities. Lots of additions, very few things removed.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: KHT ProjectsPosted: June 12th, 2016, 10:29 pm
Hm, yeah... I'll see about fixing these things. Doubtfull if I'll get around to it, but I'll try to make time for it.
And yes, deck armour would of course be reinforced during the modernization. Bulges were initially intended, but they fell away, presumably due to lazyness on my part. I'll admit to being very unclear about much of the design, mainly the armour.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 9  [ 89 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9

Jump to: