Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
ReiAyanami
Post subject: RHN Hydra Class pre-dreadnought battleshipsPosted: July 7th, 2011, 6:56 pm
Ok, this has been robbing my every minute of sleep the past 2 nights, so I'm posting it before I go mental. The three Hydra class Battleships were built in 1885 and commisioned in 1889 and were at the time the best warships of eastern Mediterranean. They fought in the Greco-Turkish War (1897), in the Balkan wars of 1912-1913, and in the WWI. They served until 1929. There is a lot of info about them, Hydra and Spetsai were identical, where Psara had 3 masts somewhat different funnels. Their original paint of white hull and yellow superstructure changed later to the standart grey, which I might do, but first I have to draw Psara with the different upperworks. Here is more info of each ship:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_battleship_Hydra
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_battleship_Spetsai
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_battleship_Psara

Hydra and Psara:
[ img ]

Their sister Spetsai has 3 different masts, but otherwise identical
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: RHN Hydra Class pre-dreadnought battleshipsPosted: July 7th, 2011, 7:03 pm
great work, except for the nonstandard hull shading (which is wrong on the bow, btw) and the double black line at the aft funnel. also, I am wondering if she really has no bilge keel?

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: RHN Hydra Class pre-dreadnought battleshipsPosted: July 7th, 2011, 7:14 pm
There's way to many shades and double black pixels. Also I'm not sure about the portholes. Other than that it's a pretty decent drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
ReiAyanami
Post subject: Re: RHN Hydra Class pre-dreadnought battleshipsPosted: July 7th, 2011, 7:16 pm
No it has not a bulge keel, and I can't see any double black line anywhere except from the funel top. As for the hull shading, because every time I post, someone says this and that is wrong, or this is non standart, I am only going to correct it with proper explanation, so I won't have to post a million times the same drawing, as I have been doing so far.

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: RHN Hydra Class pre-dreadnought battleshipsPosted: July 7th, 2011, 7:20 pm
FYI this is the standard hull shading: http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... ipment.png

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: RHN Hydra Class pre-dreadnought battleshipsPosted: July 7th, 2011, 7:24 pm
I meant the one on top of the funnel.
and nonstandard shading is all that is shaded in a way that is not allowed by the guidelines. so like this:
-deleted-
it is correct. yeah, now you have lost the lines of the hull. but those can also be shown by an single line in black or in your hull shading colour. ow and the other funnels have black coloured tops as well: this is also not allowed. black is only the outline, not an fill colour. I hope I made myself understandable now.

Last edited by acelanceloet on July 7th, 2011, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ReiAyanami
Post subject: Re: RHN Hydra Class pre-dreadnought battleshipsPosted: July 7th, 2011, 7:27 pm
Delete my ship from your post now

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: RHN Hydra Class pre-dreadnought battleshipsPosted: July 7th, 2011, 7:30 pm
whatever you want.... only wanted to show it to you....-deleted, just hope you understood.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: RHN Hydra Class pre-dreadnought battleshipsPosted: July 7th, 2011, 7:47 pm
I adjoin, it is really good looking drawing.

Few points:
Use only one shade in the funnels and ect. either go to the ligther or darker wich ever you prefer (but be consistent with it). The "aliasing" or stepped shading is completely offstandard and should not be used.
Use dark grey or the railing color in the ladders in the mast instead of black

The underwater hull isen't that bad, one cannot really show the bulge in other means.

The black pixels overlapsing with the torbedonet supporters is not proplem becouse you cannot avoid that anyways either.

[Profile] [Quote]
ReiAyanami
Post subject: Re: RHN Hydra Class pre-dreadnought battleshipsPosted: July 7th, 2011, 7:54 pm
I repainted the entire ship before redeading Gollevainen post... No double black lines, no hull shading, only one color shades, and the ladders in darker gray:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: