Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 5  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Mighty dragon. The Chinese Alternate UniversePosted: July 20th, 2011, 6:55 pm
Very nice, but why the red paint? Marine growths are only an issue when you spend time lying still. Continuous sailing at speeds in excess of 15kts will keep the growths from getting a hold in the first place and anything picked up will soon be worn away. And since the entire point of a nuclear submarine is the ability to sustain continuous highspeed patrols.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Eeo
Post subject: Re: Mighty dragon. The Chinese Alternate UniversePosted: July 20th, 2011, 11:16 pm
Since when do subs sail faster than 10 knots on a regular basis, unless their commanders are incompetent boneheads? The slower one sails, the less noise one makes, i.e. the less likely one is to be detected...

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Mighty dragon. The Chinese Alternate UniversePosted: July 21st, 2011, 3:42 am
Eeo wrote:
Since when do subs sail faster than 10 knots on a regular basis, unless their commanders are incompetent boneheads? The slower one sails, the less noise one makes, i.e. the less likely one is to be detected...
Subs sail as slowly (or as fast) as the situation warrants.
And modern submarines are designed to be rather quiet at 15 knots... though 'quiet' is a relative term depending on everything from how deep the boat is, to what type propulsion is used, to which country built the vessel.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Mighty dragon. The Chinese Alternate UniversePosted: July 21st, 2011, 7:03 am
Eeo wrote:
Ever since they got nuclear propulsion.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Eeo
Post subject: Re: Mighty dragon. The Chinese Alternate UniversePosted: July 23rd, 2011, 1:45 am
Eh, quite a lot of subs that aren't nuclear...

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Mighty dragon. The Chinese Alternate UniversePosted: July 23rd, 2011, 9:40 am
Eeo wrote:
Eh, quite a lot of subs that aren't nuclear...
Yes, but these are.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 5  [ 46 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5

Jump to: