Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 29  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 729 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: September 4th, 2010, 8:35 pm
No it doesn't. Each and every ship has a unique electromagnetic field for instance. It depends on where the ship was build (Which way did it point, was there any major powerlines etc) when it it was build, who build it, what lot of steel it was build from (Even with modern production techniques, steel still isn't 100% homogeneous and a host of other factors. That's one of the reasons why systems integration takes so damn long. For instance, when they gave the SF 300 new radars in 98 they spent more that three weeks on it. And we're talking a single radar here, not god-knows-how-many different systems and the SF300 is as plug-n-play as they get.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: September 4th, 2010, 8:51 pm
Thiel wrote:
No it doesn't. Each and every ship has a unique electromagnetic field for instance. It depends on where the ship was build (Which way did it point, was there any major powerlines etc) when it it was build, who build it, what lot of steel it was build from (Even with modern production techniques, steel still isn't 100% homogeneous and a host of other factors. That's one of the reasons why systems integration takes so damn long. For instance, when they gave the SF 300 new radars in 98 they spent more that three weeks on it. And we're talking a single radar here, not god-knows-how-many different systems and the SF300 is as plug-n-play as they get.
what time do you think is better then? if it is 1 month, it is still faster then sending an new ship from whatever what end of the world..... and if it is 2 months or maybe even more, it is still way faster then building an new ship for the purpose.
what do you suggest?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: September 5th, 2010, 9:42 am
Not a clue. However, it's definitely a yard job. Whether or not it takes a drydock isn't really important, you still need the cranes and support facilities to do it.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: September 6th, 2010, 11:28 am
Thiel wrote:
Not a clue. However, it's definitely a yard job. Whether or not it takes a drydock isn't really important, you still need the cranes and support facilities to do it.
that's right. I only meant with it that you don't need to cut the metal and refit new parts in the hull and so on. the weapons and mast are just modular systems.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: September 16th, 2010, 4:18 pm
[ img ]
this is the inshore patrol craft for the utopian coast guard. it is an little modification of MC Spoilt B'stard's design, mostly by removing an RHIB and adding an manpad for self defence. 12 of these vessels are in service, of which 6 always on standby, located at 2 positions at the east and west coast and at both ends of the utopian channel. they are quick reaction ships for low value threads. they can be used for resque or customs service, to put an boarding party on board of an approaching ship or to stop small ships from approaching utopia unautorised. for the normal patrol services there are 'conventional' coast guard ships and OPV's.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: September 17th, 2010, 4:35 pm
The Axe-bow really isn't suited for patrol work at all, and a light aircraft is better suited for shooing away any wayward ships.
Their high speed advantage is more than offset by their huge fuel consumption at low to medium speeds.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: September 17th, 2010, 5:47 pm
Thiel wrote:
The Axe-bow really isn't suited for patrol work at all, and a light aircraft is better suited for shooing away any wayward ships.
Their high speed advantage is more than offset by their huge fuel consumption at low to medium speeds.
it isn't used for normal patrol work, read the description. an aircraft can't drop an group of marines on an incoming ship, an helicopter is too easy too shoot down with normal weapons.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: September 17th, 2010, 6:01 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
Thiel wrote:
it isn't used for normal patrol work, read the description. an aircraft can't drop an group of marines on an incoming ship, an helicopter is too easy too shoot down with normal weapons.
That is normal patrol work.
Any situation where sending in a helicopter is too dangerous, this ship won't stand much of a chance either. Either send something heavier or send a jet and bomb the hell out of them.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: September 17th, 2010, 6:09 pm
Thiel wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
Thiel wrote:
That is normal patrol work.
Any situation where sending in a helicopter is too dangerous, this ship won't stand much of a chance either. Either send something heavier or send a jet and bomb the hell out of them.
they are quick reaction ships, with that I mean they chase away when they are needed. and an helicopter can be shot down by an single stinger, or an heavy machinegun (if unlucky), when you need an anti-ship missile or an cannon to shoot this ship. in case of an missile the seastreaks can defend as well. this ship isn't usable against an heavy armed ship, but that isn't it's purpose.

I can be wrong, but I thought patrol work was ...... well.... patrolling. not laying in the harbour until you are needed.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: September 17th, 2010, 7:04 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
they are quick reaction ships, with that I mean they chase away when they are needed. and an helicopter can be shot down by an single stinger, or an heavy machinegun (if unlucky), when you need an anti-ship missile or an cannon to shoot this ship. in case of an missile the seastreaks can defend as well. this ship isn't usable against an heavy armed ship, but that isn't it's purpose.
A single fragmentation warhead (from a shell or a manpad) at this thing mission kills it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 29  [ 287 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 729 »

Jump to: