Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 9 of 20  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1120 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: October 21st, 2011, 12:27 am
Hah! Lookie there! Thanks for that observation! I'll fix that ASAP!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: October 21st, 2011, 12:33 am
Fixed! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: October 21st, 2011, 10:58 pm
Updated the Thessaloniki, by 'Italianize' her bridge structure some more...)Was never in the first instance entirely happy with it anyway before...) Hope you'll like this version as much as I do! :D :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: October 22nd, 2011, 4:46 am
They are GORGEOUS!!!
The British superstructure/tripod mast makes the ship look fierce indeed, and the massive stack make her look far larger and 'meater' than her actual size would suggest. Compared to the rather anemic-looking Deutschland class, this vessel would strike fear into an enemy by dent of size alone. Ten 9.2" guns is a very respectable broadside, more than enough to make any cruiser in the world decide discretion is the better part of valor.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: October 22nd, 2011, 6:32 am
Thank you Carthaginian. You actually seems to be the only one so far who has picked up on the significant calibre increase on the Thevais compared to 'normal' heavy cruisers, either Treaty or London-cruisers.

Speaking of the tin clads, I went back once more and overhauled the Olympia-class to raise it to the same standards I've tried to achieve with the others. I also reverted back to US main gun directors instead of the British ones. I also altered the Psara's bridge somewhat to look better, and added on both more rigging. On the Psara, furthermore I moved the Loire-Niueport on the cat slightly forward to free the wings and engine nascelles from the aft superstructure.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: October 22nd, 2011, 10:38 am
21 cruisers?Very strong navy,I like it!

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: October 22nd, 2011, 12:13 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Thank you Carthaginian. You actually seems to be the only one so far who has picked up on the significant calibre increase on the Thevais compared to 'normal' heavy cruisers, either Treaty or London-cruisers.
In the N-verse, I used 9.2" guns for my 'heavy' cruisers; people will be surprised how fast the seemingly small caliber increase adds up in the weight of broadside. A 9.2" gun firing a 'superheavy' 400 pound shell would be a truly devastating weapon for a nation not planning to field a true 'battleship,' but interested in taking down treaty-compliant heavy cruisers.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: October 22nd, 2011, 2:49 pm
Spot on there, my friend...and combined with a similar tactical deployment as used by Sir Henry Harwood at Rio de la Plata on Dec. 13, 1939, even ostensive mice can roar at the big bad cat! 8-) ;) :D

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: October 22nd, 2011, 3:31 pm
Here's the Active Cruiser List as of June 30, 1939. Notice that this list only contains the cruisers; not the two remaining BB:s in reserve, detroyers, tenders, MTB:s or submarines or any auxiliary vessels. These I may yet come back to. I know there are several RL-designs of Greek destroyers already made, and I may ask permission (I believe from Navarchos!) to use them and eventually do follow-up classes. As for tenders, subs, and auxiliaries, I invite anyone who has them or good ideas for them, to participate!

The Royal Hellenic Striking Force’s Deployment as of June 30, 1939:

Key:
(R) = In Reserve Fleet (Krati Stolou); Decommissioned
(A) = Active, no Assignment to a Particular Fleet
(E) = Aegean (Archipelago) Fleet (Stolos Egeo [Archi-] Pelagos)
(P) = Pontine (Black Seas) Fleet (Stolos Euxeinos Pontos)
(Adr) = Adriatic Fleet (Stolos Adriatiki)
(M) = Mediterranean Fleet (Stolos Mesogeios)
(PK) – World Cruise (Pankosmia Krouaxiera)

1. Giorgios Averoff (R)
2. Helle (P)
3. Makedonia (M)
4. Ionia (E)
5. Ipeiros (Adr)
6. Anatolia (P)
7. Kriti (M)
8. Kypros (E)
9. Psara (E)
10. Spetsai (A, PK)
11. Hydra (A, PK)
12. Thessaloniki (P)
13. Athinai (E)
14. Olympia (A, P)
15. Philadelpheia (P)
16. Thevai (E)
17. Serrai (P)
18. Sparta (E)
19. Doxa (P)
20. Sphendoni (A, E)
21. Augousta (Adr)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: October 23rd, 2011, 5:31 pm
Have, again, updated the following:

Olympia-class: More substantial detailing, exchanging of quarter-deck whaleboat, replacing the searchlights with the normal 24-in type.

Thessalonike-class: Replaced the forward main GFD with the one found on the Trentos, and suppressed the little protruding platform above the Admiral's bridge. (I think it's more handsome now!)

Psara- and Thevai-classes: a few cosmetic additions and changes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 20  [ 198 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1120 »

Jump to: