Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 690 »
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 23rd, 2010, 6:23 pm
As usual, a most interesting design. My initial observation leads me to question the forward sponson for the light aa: it is set too low for safety and operation: I would expect it to be seriously damaged in a heavy sea. You've (sensibly) opted for a plated in bow; but I would continue the plating back to cover that big area of open deck, then raise the aforementioned sponson several decks higher.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 24th, 2010, 6:45 am
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
As usual, a most interesting design. My initial observation leads me to question the forward sponson for the light aa: it is set too low for safety and operation: I would expect it to be seriously damaged in a heavy sea. You've (sensibly) opted for a plated in bow; but I would continue the plating back to cover that big area of open deck, then raise the aforementioned sponson several decks higher.
You are absolutely right. But only from your 2010s sight. For a ship launched at 1945 I think it's a correct decision for the gap (a relict from the first Graf Zeppelin design) and the far to low sponson that results from the open part. Btw., even the USS Forrestal received structural problems with the forward sponsons. So let the Germans learn their lesson, too.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 24th, 2010, 8:08 am
Quote:
You are absolutely right. But only from your 2010s sight.
No, but from what would be the best design in any situation: the Atlantic ocean doesn't recognise historic periods, but it would be unforgiving on any ship with the features you show. I don't see the logic on having such a low sponson; likewise the partly plated in bow, itself a lesson learnt the hard way by the USN postwar, after the RN already used it. It just looks weird having that large gap for no good reason. In a really heavy sea it would ship alot of water, and I would also be concerned about the structural integrity, having loaded the weight forward on the bow without protection further aft.

But if its is an aesthetic issue then its always your call ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Carrier Grossdeutschland 1948 refitPosted: September 24th, 2010, 8:26 am
Even the awesome german engineers can go wrong. But they learn fast, so after 3 years in service only an urgent refit is done. The bow is now closed and the sponson lifted and refitted with the new 5,5cm-aa. Changing the air wings to jet aircraft is also done but the old aft aa are kept. Even after a successful operation sealion :twisted: the times are very unstable and the big carrier is called back to duty.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 24th, 2010, 9:49 am
Very nice (though I am biased :P) I also like the air wing: some very interesting designs :D .

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 24th, 2010, 10:24 am
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
Very nice (though I am biased :P) I also like the air wing: some very interesting designs :D .
Sure, no one wants to see his country under the flag with the swastika in. Me not, too. Thank god, it's just an AU.

The jets are a Me-262 HG3 twoseater with radar and the bomber is a navalised Ar-234 with widened hull.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 24th, 2010, 10:38 am
I meant I was biased re the modernised bow: and I like the look :) But yes, I can see it may have come across as a political statement; and sure, we are all fortunate in living in a world were Hitler was defeated, not least the German nation itself. It is also very difficult for us 'modern' folk to comprehend Europe in the period between the two world wars; we in Gt Britain were very insular about the very real poverty and insecurity rife in Germany and other parts of Central Europe. I do know that for many the Bolsheviks were a greater menace, and of course, that fed into Hitlers plans. When folk (especially here) rant about the European Union, I think if that's all you have to worry about think yourself very lucky. Sorry, off topic and lets get back to this excellent project.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 24th, 2010, 2:48 pm
You are allowed to use my hindenburg if you want *H42 convertion to supercarrier*
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1627 ... gclass.png

I thought i had somewhere a more updated version.
But i cant find it :P

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 27th, 2010, 6:58 am
MitcheLL300 wrote:
I thought i had somewhere a more updated version. But i cant find it :P
Thanks Mitch, I'll be working on it. How can you lose your ships?

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: guided missile light cruiser Tiger 1948Posted: September 27th, 2010, 1:47 pm
After the successfull ending of Operation Sealion the germans maraudered the shipyards of the kingdom. Trying to build them on their own yards rendered useless while whole trains with parts disappeared over night. So the useful hulls were brought to german yards and completed there.
This is the Tiger class, towed to Wilhelmshaven in 1947 and buildt as CLG in 1948. The whole armament is controlled by radar (like on the later HMS Tiger but not that sophisticated), in the late 40s the ship is a dangerous thread for any battleship. Standard 15cm-triples are installed, beside the usual 3"-aa and 5,5cm-twins. Light aa are some 3cm-quads. Main armament are two A7M-launchers. Aircraft are not supported, no ASW-components are installed. The tiny cruiser is made just to hunt down much larger vessels and kill them far from the range of their main artillery.

[ img ]

Last edited by Ashley on September 28th, 2010, 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 690 »

Jump to: