Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 6  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Nuclear Cruisers of the USNPosted: November 21st, 2011, 11:39 pm
Other than the overaggressive shading on SPS-40/49 and the superstructure, it looks like quite a fine improvement.

I do have to ask - what in the heck is going on with the see-thru SPS-48 antenna? It is true that there are some gaps visible in the right lighting conditions, but the effect is highly unusual and certainly shouldn't dominate the visual appearance of the radar.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Nuclear Cruisers of the USNPosted: December 4th, 2011, 9:04 pm
Have posted the final updates of the Californias or the Dynamic Duo. I did edit in the text to include proper credits for those who so have it deserved, but here goes again:

Thank you Tim for your assistance and support. It really was most invaluable, and you did help bring these vessels up to the highest possible standard!

Kim, the ship drawings are now complete, being adorned with your fabulous badges! Thank you, again, so kindly!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Nuclear Cruisers of the USNPosted: December 4th, 2011, 10:10 pm
Glad I could help. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Nuclear Cruisers of the USNPosted: December 4th, 2011, 10:17 pm
An excellent drawing.

A few more things:
  • At some point in their lives, the sonar domes had the more modern rubber windows. I suspect but cannot confirm that they had these from the very beginning.
  • Showing two helos in the air somewhat suggests that several could be carried (when in fact none could). Any thoughts on this?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Nuclear Cruisers of the USNPosted: December 4th, 2011, 10:48 pm
Ahhh...I did, in fact miss to check that, erik, and I have no defense for doing that, since I do have the same image stored, so, easy fix. But, I haven't seen any picture with that feature older than after the NTU, so I believe they did not carry it from the beginning.

as for the helicopter, I do see your dilemma. In this case it was to illustrate the fact that they were assigned (although only on 'semi-permanent- basis helos which could land and refuel, but not be stored. They could, however, be carried and latched, unlike the Virginias, where there weren't a proper helo parking spot due to the location of the hangar. So, since the types varied between the larger SH-3 Sea King and the SH-2 Sea Sprite, I've chosen to include both; naturally in a flying condition, but nevertheless!

Finally, thank you for your nice compliment!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Nuclear Cruisers of the USNPosted: December 4th, 2011, 11:20 pm
I am now reasonably certain that the SQS-26 was only operated with the steel window for perhaps the first decade of its life. DL-4 and DL-5 carried the first preproduction/testing units, and were found in 1962 to experience severe paint chipping due to steel window flexure. On an interim basis, they went to sea with unpainted domes. In early 1963, the USN contracted with Goodyear to go ahead with a rubber window they had proposed previously. This went to sea in mid-1965 aboard DL-4; the second aboard DE-1041 in 1972. A head-to-head test was conducted in early 1973, and the RDW greatly outperformed the steel window. As near as I can determine, this test resulted in the refitting of all existing SQS-26 installations with the Goodyear RDW, and the installation of the RDW in all future construction. As a reference point, early this year, Goodyear publicized its delivery of the 331st SQS-26/53 RDW.

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Nuclear Cruisers of the USNPosted: December 5th, 2011, 12:11 am
Great drawings and always glad to be at service ;)

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Nuclear Cruisers of the USNPosted: December 5th, 2011, 12:43 am
Thank you, erik, for your in-depth research. I'll actually going to copy this for future reference, since it's a major design and operational feature. I'll update the drawings as soon as I can with this feature.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Nuclear Cruisers of the USNPosted: December 5th, 2011, 4:52 am
Have now duly updated the drawings with the SQS-26 rubber window, as per erik_t:s kind suggestion, and I dare say they lok every bit business now with them on!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Nuclear Cruisers of the USNPosted: December 5th, 2011, 6:40 am
That boat is sexy as hell.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 6  [ 56 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: