Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10137 »
Raven
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: January 25th, 2012, 5:52 pm
It looks like you are trying for some radar cross section reduction. With that in mind, you might want to redesign your funnels, as they seem to be a slab of reflectivity.

By This Sign You Will Conquer

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: January 25th, 2012, 7:57 pm
Hnh. Hadn't actually thought of the radar cross section, just liked the looks of the design, but now that you point that out....

I'll give some thought to that.

Any suggestions on how to redo the funnels effectively?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: January 25th, 2012, 8:12 pm
look at the flight 2A burkes ;) that would five the best idea of how funnels like this are 'stealtified'

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: January 25th, 2012, 8:51 pm
A few changes. Some may be good, some may be WTF. :lol:
The funnels may well be in the "what the frell were you thinking?" category. Naturally, only ther starboard is shown. The port funnel is roughly a little aft of where the Tomahawk launchers are. Pretty much the same locations as the above deck funnels, just not above deck anymore. :shock:

[ img ]

(Didn't see your post about the Burkes until after I had done this thing. ;) )

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: January 25th, 2012, 9:10 pm
Zephyr wrote:
"what the frell were you thinking?"
That's an apt description.
The current setup have three features.
1: It'll obscure the flight deck with exhaust
2: It puts a stonking big infra red flare smack in the centre of the ship.
3: It's susceptible to flooding in heavy weather. As you might have guessed, neither diesel engines nor gas turbines like water.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: January 25th, 2012, 9:13 pm
that goalkeeper won't fit over there. it has deck penetration, reload space, all underneath it. also, GK's are very costly and I have never ever seen 3 on 1 ship.... I am not an fan of the arrangement blackbuck proposed, but this is even worse IMO.
the MK 48 doesn't work like this. the MK 48 is only build for the NSSM missile, and the mod 2 is being outdated since the introduction of the ESSM. why? because an 8 cell MK 41 fits as much ESSM (quadpacked) as an 16 cell MK 48 mod 2 (dualpacked) while the latter is bigger.
those funnels..... well I suggest going back to the original version. those were stealthier then these, work better and.......... looked better.
the new gun position looks good btw :P
EDIT:
ah, thiel sniped me on the funnels :P then I can delete the rage mode part, 1 is enough xD

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: January 26th, 2012, 5:19 am
Thiel wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
"what the frell were you thinking?"
That's an apt description.
The current setup have three features.
1: It'll obscure the flight deck with exhaust
2: It puts a stonking big infra red flare smack in the centre of the ship.
3: It's susceptible to flooding in heavy weather. As you might have guessed, neither diesel engines nor gas turbines like water.
Yeah, ok, I was in a weird mood when I did those. ;) Hopefully, y'all can have guessed that wasn't really a serious idea.
acelanceloet wrote:
that goalkeeper won't fit over there. it has deck penetration, reload space, all underneath it. also, GK's are very costly and I have never ever seen 3 on 1 ship.... I am not an fan of the arrangement blackbuck proposed, but this is even worse IMO.
the MK 48 doesn't work like this. the MK 48 is only build for the NSSM missile, and the mod 2 is being outdated since the introduction of the ESSM. why? because an 8 cell MK 41 fits as much ESSM (quadpacked) as an 16 cell MK 48 mod 2 (dualpacked) while the latter is bigger.
those funnels..... well I suggest going back to the original version. those were stealthier then these, work better and.......... looked better.
the new gun position looks good btw :P
EDIT:
ah, thiel sniped me on the funnels :P then I can delete the rage mode part, 1 is enough xD
I do believe I'll go back to the original design, with a few minor modifications. It just looks more, well, elegant to me.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: January 26th, 2012, 6:48 am
Try, try again

[ img ]

At a loss where to put the aft GK. Hell, at this point some of our junior designers have floated the idea of towing the damn thing behind on a raft. :P

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: January 26th, 2012, 6:56 am
funnels: look at flight 2A burke. these, flight 1 style funnels are still rather unstealthy.
aft GK: heighten the hangar a bit and put it on top of it. or next to it, as you only have an hangar for 1 small helicopter, and should have plenty of beam for it. or heighten the hangar and the helideck altogether and put the GK between the helideck and the gun.
APAR: targeting radars and directors are always placed as high as possible for their weight, so you have an completely free field of 'vision' for the guidance. it should be .... well something like on top of that mast, although that mast will most likely not be able to carry the weight. also, don't forget that you need SMART-L as well for the APAR to give it's full effectiveness
4 rhibs might be too much for a ship like this, especially when they are on such an weird position and you have some space aft (don't say your hangar takes the entire beam of the ship, it does not!) I would remove the forwardmost 2, giving you 3 rhibs (one at each side of the forward funnel & one next to the hangar)

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: January 26th, 2012, 7:01 am
umm..... I took those funnels directly off MihoshiK's flight IIA drawing

The GK on top of the hanger? Thats where I had it to start with and you said it wouldn't work there. I'm old and easily confused. Stop that! :shock:

Last edited by Zephyr on January 26th, 2012, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10137 »

Jump to: