Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 16 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 114 15 16 17 18137 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 4:55 pm
Thiel wrote:
Is that some sort of ASW mortar on that recessed platform next to the fore-end of flight deck?
Harpoons actually.
Thiel wrote:
Presumably the smaller guns are the same type as the OHP were supposed to have been armed with before they chose the 76mm.
The same gun as on the A-10 and Goalkeeper actually.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 5:12 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
uhm.....
http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... ruance.gif
THIS is the never build design. no VLS, no directors aft, no SPS-49 but an SPS-48, an heli position up front, an smaller elevator.... where does that other stuff come from? IIRC, the original design never was an harrier carrier......

also, the GK has A LOT of deck penetration. it needs an reload room and magazine, while the phalanx has all that on-mount (although some of it is sometimes recessed, as was done here). this is why you cannot just swap an GK and an Phalanx.
My mistake then. :oops: I used the Australian AU design

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 5:16 pm
TimothyC wrote:
Ok, here is the original drawing as it was shown in Hybrid Carriers (well the original was in Processdings, but this is an even higher res rendering:

[ img ]

What Shiplover had done was he taken this, and modified it considerably.
hnh. ok, I actually like that design better. I'll have to make some modifications tonight when we get home (Taking the wife out to dinner and a movie tonight. Going to go see 'Red Tails'. I love having a wife who is not only a geek like me, but loves history too. I let her pick the movie, thats what she picked.)

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 5:19 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
Depending on how modern it's actually meant to be I'd of thought that Millennium would be a good alternative to GK namely because of AHEAD even if GK fires substantially faster.
Possibly, but I had made the choice already to standarize my ships with a single style CIWS, and picked the GK instead of Phalanx. Didn't know about Millenium at the time, and I really don't want to have to go back and re-do every ship. :lol: Again.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 5:58 pm
actually....
the millenium gun is in service from 2003. the GK from 1980. only south korea builds new goalkeepers after 1995, somewhere before that (do not know the exact year) the dutch production line closed. so, you could fit the GK on older ships and the millenium on new ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 6:05 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
also, the GK has A LOT of deck penetration. it needs an reload room and magazine, while the phalanx has all that on-mount (although some of it is sometimes recessed, as was done here). this is why you cannot just swap an GK and an Phalanx.
Crap. Didn't know that. I thought GK was all "on-mount" as well.

Opinions, then...

options:
1.) Switch all my ships back to Phalanx
2.) Leave them with GK, but move them around to where they will fit (nightmare scenario)
3.) Use a combination of both, Phalanx on smaller ships or in tight spots, GK on larger ships where there is sufficient room for the deck penetration
4.) Say that GK has all their hoo-haw on mount like the Phalanx does (stubborn-its-my-world-and-sometimes-RW-rules-don't-apply scenario. also known as "aw hell, I don't want to change everything again". lol)

Last edited by Zephyr on February 3rd, 2012, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 6:06 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
actually....
the millenium gun is in service from 2003. the GK from 1980. only south korea builds new goalkeepers after 1995, somewhere before that (do not know the exact year) the dutch production line closed. so, you could fit the GK on older ships and the millenium on new ships.
....and you just answered the above question as I was typing it, apparently. do you have a bloody crystal ball or something? :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 6:24 pm
well, not entirely. I haven't got the slightest idea how you are going to fit an GK on an tico, and I don't know which other ships you had in mind.....
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2002
this might help a bit, USN ships fitted with dutch technology.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 6:44 pm
eh. I'll just go with Phalanx. Fewer arguments, headaches or trying to figure out where there is sufficient deck penetration. Also, I'm sure it would make the support boys-n-girls happier just having a single ammunition supply to worry about instead of multiple calibres.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 6:50 pm
Millennium doesn't penetrate the deck and as I said before AHEAD compared to actually hitting something with a bullet would be preferable that said commonality isn't a bad thing...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 16 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 114 15 16 17 18137 »

Jump to: