Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 20 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 118 19 20 21 22137 »
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 5th, 2012, 3:45 pm
Armored cruiser post-WWI? I think large cruiser or battleship would be the better designation. But, I do like the concept behind this. I would raise those two aft directors just so that they're up a little bit higher. They seem pretty low on the ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 5th, 2012, 4:06 pm
It is basically a battlecruiser which is a battleship sized and gunned armored cruiser.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 5th, 2012, 5:21 pm
I know that you told us basically not to bother suggesting you changes etc, but I'll give it to you anyway: Firstly, a neat design, very British in concept and appearance. However, to me it appears that the airplane will have some trouble taking off safely. It really seems to be an awful lot to ask for that por chap to risk his life in such a cramped environ! What I'd suggest you do is to move the entire superstructure, say 10 - 15 pixels forward, lengthen it towards the end, slim the forward block superstructure, which right now is awfully and unnecessarily massive. That way you're clearing a clear spot for the catabult since you'll also move the funnel slightly forward. I'd also erect a small deck-house aft to support the directors. Maybe you might consider altering the curvature of your bow to a more 'Canada'-like one; that'd look really nice!? I also would prefer to raise the main fire control top quite considerably. Right now it's virtually useless, since it won't give you much farther vision as if you were standing on the compass platform! Finally I don't undestand the glass windows in what to me would be the windbreaker railing of that platform. If you consider it: how can an average person stand in that area? Besides, it's quite un-British. Feel free to have a look at the HMS Queen Elizabeth for inspiration!

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 5th, 2012, 5:47 pm
The reason I said "no more changes" is that this thing has already undergone several changes, discussions, acrimonious debates and other such stuff. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2296 Just trying to avoid that yet again. The link also contains more info on the concept behind this thing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 5th, 2012, 5:54 pm
of course, given that they seem reasonable suggestions, I may well have to consider them. I just wanted to try avoid reopening that particular can of worms is all.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 6th, 2012, 6:00 am
bezobrazov wrote:
I know that you told us basically not to bother suggesting you changes etc, but I'll give it to you anyway: Firstly, a neat design, very British in concept and appearance.
Thanks
bezobrazov wrote:
However, to me it appears that the airplane will have some trouble taking off safely. It really seems to be an awful lot to ask for that por chap to risk his life in such a cramped environ! What I'd suggest you do is to move the entire superstructure, say 10 - 15 pixels forward, lengthen it towards the end, slim the forward block superstructure, which right now is awfully and unnecessarily massive. That way you're clearing a clear spot for the catabult since you'll also move the funnel slightly forward. I'd also erect a small deck-house aft to support the directors.
ok, did a little rearranging of things. Also added red bits I had asked for. Wasn't sure what to use, but I figured this design is essentially a floating anachronism, so I cadged Jabba's red bits from the Duncan and lengthened them. I didn't want to do that, but it seems all folk want to talk about is the above water bits. :P oh well. It don't look half bad, though, I don't think, and even fit the curvature of the bow and stern without making any changes.
[ img ]
bezobrazov wrote:
Maybe you might consider altering the curvature of your bow to a more 'Canada'-like one; that'd look really nice!?
Not sure what that is. :?
bezobrazov wrote:
I also would prefer to raise the main fire control top quite considerably. Right now it's virtually useless, since it won't give you much farther vision as if you were standing on the compass platform! Finally I don't undestand the glass windows in what to me would be the windbreaker railing of that platform. If you consider it: how can an average person stand in that area? Besides, it's quite un-British. Feel free to have a look at the HMS Queen Elizabeth for inspiration!
Ummm :oops: Not quite sure I follow you on this one

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 6th, 2012, 6:09 am
Been working on this for a bit now. Thought I might give doing one from scratch using only my imagination (scary as that seems) and the guns and directors from the parts sheets. Nothing from anybody elses drawings.

Its looking a bit odd though. I can't tell if its because there is too much hull and underwater hull, or too small of a superstructure, but they don't seem to match up.

Its a WIP, by the way, so comments concerning "Thingy X is missing" will be countered with "Because I haven't got that far yet". Timeframe for this class of 5 ships is laid down between 1937-41, with commissioning in 1940-44.

[ img ]

Last edited by Zephyr on February 6th, 2012, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 6th, 2012, 10:20 am
British secondaries directed by Mk.37? Will it work?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 6th, 2012, 1:25 pm
That front pom-pom / Bofors is going to be fun to crew...

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 6th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Clonecommander6454 wrote:
British secondaries directed by Mk.37? Will it work?
Well, I haven't put the secondaries directors on there yet, BUT, they are Grays Harbor secondaries directed by Grays Harbor directors.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 20 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 118 19 20 21 22137 »

Jump to: