Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 71 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 169 70 71 72 7390 »
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: March 20th, 2012, 11:16 pm
Oh My God. They are just pure beauty!

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: What happened to the LST Kiel?Posted: March 21st, 2012, 8:48 am
DG_Alpha wrote:
If there was a Bayreuth-class Kiel, what happened to the LST Kiel?
The LST Kiel was lost to a french drifting mine at the channel near Calais in 1945. Kiel was still at sea trials and did a sea lift mission to Calais, heavily loaded with arms, ammo and supplies for the planned invasion.
The LST-class was still the Kiel-class after the accident, the name was given to a new cruiser then.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: LST Kiel-class 1st batch revisitedPosted: March 21st, 2012, 11:09 am
I reworked some details on Kiel-class LST.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: March 21st, 2012, 11:37 am
Again we come to the question, what possible reason could Germany have for building such a thing? You're attacking a target that's what? 100nm away at most? Not even the US, who were staging invasions a quarter of the world away from home didn't build anything remotely like it.
What you need are cheap conventional landing crafts of all types, not super expensive one-offs.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: March 21st, 2012, 11:54 am
Thiel wrote:
Again we come to the question, what possible reason could Germany have for building such a thing? You're attacking a target that's what? 100nm away at most? Not even the US, who were staging invasions a quarter of the world away from home didn't build anything remotely like it.
What you need are cheap conventional landing crafts of all types, not super expensive one-offs.
Attacking US, I believe.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: the reason for german LSTsPosted: March 21st, 2012, 12:06 pm
Thiel, you are right. Overrunning England with adequate force is easy. There is a big need for hundreds of small ships carrying more tanks, more soldiers and more supplies to a warzone that is max. 100 miles away. A daytrip anyway.
It begins to become interesting with ambushes at Scotland. Or invasions on Ireland. On Iceland. Gibraltar, Malta and so on. England would have been just a beginning. With a success like that the nazis would not have stopped on any target until a hard defeat. (still thank god it's an AU only...). Therefor the 'Kiel' is useful.

US, no. In this AU the US are not engaged in Europe. It's very far-fetched by now, an US engagement would drive it completely impossible.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: March 21st, 2012, 12:28 pm
wait what.....
consider this: the USN fought in the pacific with the 'regular' landing craft, shipped on board (sometimes modified) merchants, and you build this thing which can't even beach in quite a few occasions for the invasion of..... scotland? why would you even invade iceland? invasion of gibraltar? that's an port! just blow away their defences and sail in a few ships full of troops! malta: just destroy their supply and they would give up.

just no.

[Profile] [Quote]
JLDogg
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: March 21st, 2012, 1:13 pm
To me your crane does not look large enough forthe LC on deck.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: March 30th, 2012, 11:07 am
JLDogg wrote:
To me your crane does not look large enough forthe LC on deck.
The LC deflects most of the crane, the crane is large and strong enough for the LC.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: March 30th, 2012, 11:33 am
I sincerely doubt that. If you want to launch anything that big in any kind of sea you're going to need a proper davit.
Take a look at some of the post war USN LSTs. Notice how big the davits are? They're designed to launch boats less than half the size of your landing craft.
And we're still looking at a purpose for those ships in the first place. All of the targets you've listed are out of reach of existing Kriegsmarine landing crafts like the Marinefährprahm. Heck, they've got enough range to go north of Scotland and attack Belfast from Amsterdam. Iceland can be reached from Bergen, Gibraltar from any point along the French or Italian Mediterranean coast, ditto Malta.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 71 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 169 70 71 72 7390 »

Jump to: