Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 74 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 172 73 74 75 7690 »
nigevids
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 5th, 2012, 7:00 am
From Wiki

On Sachsen, a MAN diesel engine producing 12,000 ihp was installed on the center shaft, while steam turbines powered the outboard shafts. The combined power plant would have produced 42,000 shp (31,000 kW) for a designed speed of 22.5 knots. (from 1917?)

For Konig.
It was originally intended that the König class battleships would be powered by two sets of turbines on the outer shafts, while the center shaft would have utilized a MAN 6-cylinder 2-stroke diesel engine producing 12,000 shp at 150 rpm.[7] Development of the diesel was protracted, however, and it was later decided that the diesel would be installed only in Grosser Kurfürst and Markgraf.[7] Ultimately, the diesel was never installed in any of the König class battleships.

So the technology was their just taking longer to perfect. Sometime between 1913 and 1917 it had been perfected enough to fit to a new battleship.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 5th, 2012, 10:16 am
The only Imperial German Navy vessel equipped with diesel was the SMS Prinzregent Luitpold, and she was at best a qualified success, being a 20 knot vessel. I'm surprised that this is not know by people who profess to be knowledgeable of the German navy...

[Profile] [Quote]
nigevids
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 5th, 2012, 12:43 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
The only Imperial German Navy vessel equipped with diesel was the SMS Prinzregent Luitpold, and she was at best a qualified success, being a 20 knot vessel. I'm surprised that this is not know by people who profess to be knowledgeable of the German navy...
From Wiki on Kaiser class battleships propulsion.

"Prinzregent Luitpold was equipped with two sets of Parsons turbines on the outer shafts. It was intended that a single 12,000 bhp Germania 6-cylinder 2-stroke diesel engine would drive the center shaft. However, the diesel power plant was not ready in time to be installed in Prinzregent Luitpold, so the ship sailed with only two shafts.[7] On trials, Prinzregent Luitpold was approximately one half knot slower than her sisters"

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 5th, 2012, 1:15 pm
That's true, which I am taking full responsibility of having overlooked, since I usually don't wiki my stuff, but this certainly indicates that fact that marine diesels were not reliable nor ready for use in such large vessels, besides, German engineering had not yet acquired the reputation of quality and superiority that it later was to attain. Yet, the fact that in previous posts there had been no mentioning of the only completed battleship designed for taking marine diesels is revealing...

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 5th, 2012, 4:31 pm
Breyer says the same as Wikipedia. The diesels were planned but not installed. The shaft and engineroom was left empty.

However, Alvensleven is fitted with three turbines.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: CL Mainz class Potsdam 1939Posted: April 10th, 2012, 8:59 am
The Mainz-class were a pair of light cruisers built after the Leipzigs as interimclass to the M-class cruisers. The hull was as long as Leipzig but had a higher beam of 17,2m. Its three 15cm triple turrets were installed in the more common way two on the foredeck and one on the aft. 3 10,5cm twins for heavy aa-action and 12 (1x4, 2x2, 4x1) 2cm light aa. 2x4 53,3cm torpedo tubes. The catapult is installed beside the hanger, Potsdam carries two Heinkel He-60 floatplanes.
[ img ]

Last edited by Ashley on April 10th, 2012, 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 10th, 2012, 10:04 am
Sleek!

[Profile] [Quote]
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 10th, 2012, 11:59 am
Can you say " heavy armament".

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 10th, 2012, 12:37 pm
gordo8000 wrote:
Can you say " heavy armament".
9x15cm & 6x10,5cm is adequate and absolutely usual for a light cruiser of that era.

[Profile] [Quote]
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 10th, 2012, 3:10 pm
I'll take your word for it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 74 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 172 73 74 75 7690 »

Jump to: