Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 80 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 178 79 80 81 8290 »
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: May 16th, 2012, 1:29 pm
VERY nice! Might have worked well as a helicopter carrier had she survived longer.

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: May 16th, 2012, 1:34 pm
You could replace what appears to be a navalised Ju 87 with the Ju 187. The 187 seems to fit the 1947 atmosphere better, though that's just my opinion.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: May 16th, 2012, 1:51 pm
What superior jets? By 1946 the allies are fielding five different pure jets, including the de Haviland Sea Vampire, the only carrier capable jet in the world at the time.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Tracking vessel HuginPosted: May 16th, 2012, 1:58 pm
The Hugin was built in 1955 for some special missions:
- control/guidance of ICBMs
- tracking of enemy units
- mobile radar outpost
- training on sophisticated technologies
The large ship carries two 'Panorama'-radars, the most powerful mobile radar in the world in 1955. Further a hole bunch of detecting and tracking devices.
'Hugin' & 'Munin' played a central part in the cold war of the 60s and 70s.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: GrossflugzeugkreuzerPosted: May 16th, 2012, 2:10 pm
Ashley wrote:
Equipped with superior jets it might equal larger airwings like on Essex or Implacable.
I am going to say this again, and maybe it will sink in (although I doubt it).

German metallurgy is not up to producing engines of the needed power output or MTBF to go match much less be superior to US jets of the time.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: May 16th, 2012, 2:21 pm
The lower portion of the superstructure makes me think she might've been converted from a passenger liner. In any event, I like her! (She's a Kriegsmarine ship, what's not to like? :) )

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: May 16th, 2012, 2:38 pm
emperor_andreas wrote:
(She's a Kriegsmarine ship, what's not to like? :) )
That she's a Kriegsmarine ship for one.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: May 16th, 2012, 3:15 pm
Agree wholeheartedly with Thiel!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: GrossflugzeugkreuzerPosted: May 16th, 2012, 4:27 pm
TimothyC wrote:

I am going to say this again, and maybe it will sink in (although I doubt it).

German metallurgy is not up to producing engines of the needed power output or MTBF to go match much less be superior to US jets of the time.
In all fairness it might be different in his AU, especially if the Germans got an early major victory (also unrealistic, I know, but like I said, giving him the benefit of the doubt).

That doesn't change how stupid the whole idea of a hybrid battleship-carrier is though. The only reason why two examples existed in real life was because the navy in question was desperate for carrier hulls.

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 10:57 pm
First of all: I really like the Tracking ships and their radar equippment. They inspired me to do a pair of Coat of Arms for both ships, I hope you like them:
[ img ][ img ]

The Ludendorff looks good as well, but I'm not excactly sold on her design, mostly because I personally don't like these hybrid designs. Also, wouldn't it make for sense to have her converted into a full carrier by 1946? Of course this assumes that the Pacific War would have taken a somehow similar route and shown the importance of carriers. Also, what exactly are these guns on the plattforms next flightdeck supposed to be?

Regarding the Yorck-class BCs, I have a few questions:
You wrote:
Ashley wrote:
Roon was torpedoed 40 miles north of her harbor only by the british submarine HMS Searcher in November 1946 after action against Iceland. She made it half the way back to Wilhelmshaven until she had to be evacuated. Today the wreck is visited often by divers, she lies 25m deep only.

However, in an earlier post you wrote:
Ashley wrote:
The Roon wasn't able to follow Howe due to its lower speed. So Roon took Tirpitz back to Bergen. HMS Howe was some days later found by Luftwaffe torpedobombers and sent to the ground.
Roon was attacked by british x-craft some weeks later at Bergen harbor and was grounded there but still operational as aa battery until 1948. She was refloated and scrapped then.
So, Retcon or "inaccurate historical documents"? :D

Also, you earlier posted a timeline of your AU and mentioned that it was based on a doctor thesis of your friend. May I ask what the exact title was and if it somehow available? I'm really intruiged and want to know more.

Anyways, this is continuing to be my favourite thread here, so keep up the good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 80 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 178 79 80 81 8290 »

Jump to: