Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 13 of 20  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1520 »
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: August 27th, 2012, 2:54 am
Ah ha! It would be interersting if they got the two Chesters back after WWI with their single 5.5s

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: August 28th, 2012, 12:38 am
I have updated the Kriti-class Scouts (p.4)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: August 30th, 2012, 5:11 am
With a view to eventually show the various modifications, rebuildings etc of respective class, I am presenting to you the heavy cruiser Philadelpheia as she appeared in 1939. The principal differences between her and her sister, the RHN fleet flagship, Olympia are: no sternwalk, simplified bridge structure; smaller aft conning and PriFly-stations, no armored rangefinder on 'X'-turret and an ungainly lengthened fore stack. In spite of being so equipped, the Philadelpheia never was employed as a flagship; not even as a divisional one. It did not mean that she was less popular as a command than the other cruisers, or that there was something wrong with her. Instead she spent her entire - and too short - career as a private vessel, gaining a respectable reputation as a crack gunnery ship. Fate caught up with her during the Great Evacuation, Jan-Feb., 1942, when the Black Seas area was temporarily abandoned due to the enemies' increased success in gaining strategic territory. On Feb. 6 she first struck a mine that left her with both forward boiler and engine rooms flooded and speed reduced to 15 knots. She still kept on and, as she entered the Golden Horn Channel, a Turkish sub fixed its periscope on her and fired a salvo of six torpedoes, five of which struck home, at a mean range of 700 yards. The Philadelpheia, quite contrary to expectations, remained upright, although deep with her bows in the water, till, shortly past midnight she capsized and disappeared beneath the waves with a dull lurch, taking some 380 officers and men with her. Her gallant captain, Taras Khoroshanian, one of the few Armenian higher officers in the RHN, was fished up by a Turkish patrol boat and, having witnessed the Turks' killing spree among the scattered, helpless Greek victims in the sea around the wreck, he was taken to the Turko-German high command and, having refused to satisfy the interrogators was executed by a firing squad, only one of many war crimes committed during this war.

I give you the Philadelpheia as of 1939. Later will follow her final appearance too:
[ img ]

Last edited by bezobrazov on July 30th, 2016, 1:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: August 30th, 2012, 6:19 am
Absolutely beautiful...this is probably the first AU thread that makes me consider it a tragedy these gorgeous vessels were not realities. Speaking of Greek ships, has anyone ever been to see the Averof? If so, what all areas are open?

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: September 1st, 2012, 1:34 am
The two Thessalonike-class heavy cruisers, arguably the handsomest ships in the entire RHN, were modernized, beginning in 1937. The Royal Naval Yard and Docks at the Arsenal in Constantinople first took the Thessalonike in hand, 1937-38, followed by the Athinai, in 1939. Both ships had their aircraft-spotting bridge significantly enlarged and a number of AA-guns situated there. The guns were mostly derived from Italian designs, although the Royal Artillery Foundry at Galata did produce them. The two secondary directors abreast the aft funnel were removed, and in Athinai, was replaced by a wrapped-around AA-bridge. Masts were lightened, the catapults modernized to enable the operation of the Loire-Nieuport 130 seaplane. Additional AA-guns were also fitted were suitable. The Athinai, was designated for service with the Aegean Fleet after her modernization.

Here is the Athinai as she appeared 1940-41, her last year of service. I will return to the story of the sad endings of these two beautiful vessels.
[ img ]

Last edited by bezobrazov on September 1st, 2012, 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: September 1st, 2012, 3:04 am
...and here is the Thessalonike as of 1941, her final appearance. At the time she was serving as the flagship of the Second Cruiser Division, Strike Force, Black Seas Fleet, flying the flag of Rear Adm. Pavlos Toumbazis (no relation of Iakobos Tombazis of Greek War of Liberation fame!), the aggressive, dashing lieutenant of Vice Adm Konstantinos Kriezis, at the crucial naval battle off Sinop, Nov. 27, 1940. Already then the Thessalonike sported her rather unique camouflage-pattern. In contrast to her sister, the Athinai, she was outfitted with heavier and more modern AA-guns and had a large AA-platform erected abaft the hangar.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: September 1st, 2012, 5:57 am
Neat camo pattern!

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: September 1st, 2012, 6:38 am
The Psara underwent a radical rebuilding between 1936-39: she was effectively converted to a large light cruiser; very much the equivalent of a 'Town'-class cruiser in the RN. The conversion took place at Valetta, Malta, and involved the removal of her four triple 7.5" gun houses and their replacement with three triple 6" turrets of Vickers design. The 'Y'-position was devoted to a newly developed 4.7" twin AA-mount. Thus the ship had her main caibre broadside reduced from 12 guns to nine. This was, however, more than compensated for by the much higher rate of fire and the DP-functionality of the new 6" guns. Also the cumbersome and, as it had turned out, unreliable 5" HA/LA guns amidships were unshipped and replaced by four twin 4.7" L/45 QF mounts. PomPoms were fitted together with a generally increased AA-ordnance. New, British-manufacted fire control systems and directors were provided.
Psara's mainmast was removed and replaced by a light tripod which also served as base for the main boat crane.
What had been contemplated, but in the end never executed was the fitting of a hangar for the scoutplanes. They still had to be lashed to the weather-deck.
The bridge was remodelled to. A new aircraft observation-bridge was fitted on top of the existing bridge.

Aside from the completely refitted armament, the single most important change was the fitting of a 3" external belt, stretching from the forward base of 'A'-turret to approx 70 feet abaft of the aft stack. This belt tapered down to 0.75" at the ends, and 1.5" at the topedge. This belt was provided by the removal of the external main belt of the old, decommissioned battleship Spetsai (1889-92), re-rolling it and hardening it. There was additional 2" Teak-backing to hold the belt in place.

I give you the Psara as of 1939:
[ img ]

Last edited by bezobrazov on September 1st, 2012, 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: September 1st, 2012, 6:42 am
Awesome! What attention to details!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Royal Hellenic Navy's Cruiser Force 1925-41Posted: September 1st, 2012, 6:51 am
where did you get the weight reserve for the additional armour? an quick estimate is that you will need 640 tonnes of additional displacement for it....
(roughly 100*4*0,1m = 80m^3, steel is about 8 ton/m^3, so 80*8= 640)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 13 of 20  [ 198 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1520 »

Jump to: