Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 8  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Ark Royal class aircraft carrierPosted: October 10th, 2012, 4:44 pm
Rhade wrote:
KHT wrote:
Your ship is admittedly slightly longer, and presumably wider, but there is no way it will fit both the space and service parts of the ship, along with an engine of acceptable power.
... and fuel, food, water, ammo, ect.
.... and a cabin that fits the captains ego!

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Ark Royal class aircraft carrierPosted: October 10th, 2012, 4:54 pm
That is the thing about using Diesel engines they use less space than steam engines.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Ark Royal class aircraft carrierPosted: October 10th, 2012, 4:58 pm
APDAF wrote:
That is the thing about using Diesel engines they use less space than steam engines.
While true in general, given the timeframe and the amount of power you'll need that's not actually the case.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Ark Royal class aircraft carrierPosted: October 10th, 2012, 5:02 pm
APDAF wrote:
There would still be not enough space, i'ts better to give the hangar at least one more deck of space; it's easier than you may think, just cut and paste the flight deck 20 or a bit more pixels higher, then fill the void space left roughly in the same manner you have already done.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Ark Royal class aircraft carrierPosted: October 10th, 2012, 5:11 pm
Karle94 wrote:
eswube wrote:
and merging into one group airplane that looks to be ca. 1920 with airplane that looks to be ca. 1935 is weird, to say the least.
Say that to the ones that designed the Fairey Swordfish!
Only that this APDAF's biplane is essentialy an World War 1 or early post-war plane - as seen here:

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =18&t=3277

while a Swordfish was very big aircraft (which is clearly not the case here), that while a biplane, looked 1930s. ;)

APDAF
Whole Your hull will be needed for living spaces for crews, machinery, stores, fuel tanks and ammunition/bomb storage etc.
Hangar will be between main hull and main deck - as was typically the case with aircraft carriers of that era.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Ark Royal class aircraft carrierPosted: October 10th, 2012, 5:15 pm
wait wait
swordfish very big? maybe compared with the sopwith pup, but she was only just big enough to keep that torpedo airborne IIRC...

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Ark Royal class aircraft carrierPosted: October 10th, 2012, 5:17 pm
Ok, ok. I meant that it was big for a carrier aircraft of that generation. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Ark Royal class aircraft carrierPosted: October 10th, 2012, 8:59 pm
UPDATED:

Added hanger and lifeboats.
Removed 4.7 inch guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Ark Royal class aircraft carrierPosted: October 10th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Well, it's a start. Feasibly, with a lot of work, you may have a workable vessel. May I ask what era this vessel is from?
First of all, everyone else is right when they say the hangar deck is too short. I count about 10 px, it should be atleast 15px. Given the drought of your hull you could get away with 2 taller hangar decks.
Secondly, I would go for more rafts and fewer boats, as most carriers do this. (Rafts=slightly smaller capacity with less storage space)
Next, remove that rigging. All of it! That can come later and as you have it now is not how real carriers were rigged.
Then, raise your funnels up higher. Those things are puny, and need to be taller. (Question: Are they pointing straight up like most western designs or out to the side like Japanese vessels?)
This will give you a start, but is not the only things that need to be done, I'm sure other members with more experiance than me at drawing carriers will have more to say. I'm not going to mention anything about the island, let's focus on this a bit at a time, and this ship will come out looking good. Provided that you listen to our advice.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Ark Royal class aircraft carrierPosted: October 10th, 2012, 9:21 pm
1) The era would be interwar. (But due the the warped time line within the last 20 years or so).
2) Can it? Ok it will try and do that to the internal drawing. And that is sunk in to the hull slightly.
3) the rafts are behind the lifeboats in storage lockers.
4) It is off to the side like the Japanese carriers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 8  [ 78 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »

Jump to: