Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 21 of 23  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page « 119 20 21 22 23 »
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: 3d ship drawingsPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 10:17 am
Karle94 wrote:
Since this is a place for 3D models I thougth I`d cut in one of mine. I`ve been working on this for quite some time. It`s the German H-39 class battleship. Part of the Z plan.
Wow! At the level of detail and diffrent pieces of geometry. I would definately look around for some better textures though, especially for the wood. There are many free resources online.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 3d ship drawingsPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 11:05 am
Lebroba wrote:
Probably not, but it does in 3D modelling. I would do a search on Google(tm) for "Hard Surface Modelling" techniques. And you definately need some edge loops in there.
I don't work with meshes, so I don't need those xD. I am doing an engineering model, that has absolutely nothing to do with those techniques.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: 3d ship drawingsPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 11:23 am
acelanceloet wrote:
Lebroba wrote:
Probably not, but it does in 3D modelling. I would do a search on Google(tm) for "Hard Surface Modelling" techniques. And you definately need some edge loops in there.
I don't work with meshes, so I don't need those xD. I am doing an engineering model, that has absolutely nothing to do with those techniques.
Oh got it. I thought you said you were using Rhino which uses Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 3d ship drawingsPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 11:27 am
I work in rhino, but constantly export and import to other software for calculations, hence why I keep the surfaces separate and never need techniques as these.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: 3d ship drawingsPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 11:32 am
Thats sounds pretty cool. Can I ask what other software ou are using? I undrestand if you cant say because of a proprietary workflow.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 3d ship drawingsPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 11:38 am
autocad, rhinomarine (rhino plugin) maxsurf & hullspeed mostly. autocad to get technical parts like engines in the hull, maxsurf to correct the basic shape (rhino is easier to draw an shape, maxsurf is easier to correct that same shape, and to add the entire ship together I use rhino again, as that is the software I am most familiar with. with maxsurf I also export to hullspeed for speed calculations, although I can only do that at school, for other calculations I use rhinomarine mostly.
and then I have the regular calculations done constantly in excel, to get her through the lloyds rules.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: 3d ship drawingsPosted: January 8th, 2013, 6:05 am
I spent half my vacation reading about longitudinal and traverse stress loads, the philosophy of plastic strength and Vibration theory. I think I'll stick to making art.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: 3d ship drawingsPosted: January 8th, 2013, 3:54 pm
Lebroba wrote:
I spent half my vacation reading about longitudinal and traverse stress loads, the philosophy of plastic strength and Vibration theory. I think I'll stick to making art.
hahaha, I love the way you say it. It's like me, I had funny at an ship engineering school, but after some time I just said "Fuck this" I am going to do something else!

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: 3d ship drawingsPosted: January 10th, 2013, 7:56 am
One thing I have learned from it though is anappreciation for internal and underlying structure. Like you have to understand the underlying anatomy to correctly draw a figure, understanding the placement of girders, welds, machinery placement etc, helps me design a better looking exterior.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: 3d ship drawingsPosted: January 14th, 2013, 12:52 pm
[ img ]

some more progress.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 21 of 23  [ 226 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 119 20 21 22 23 »

Jump to: