Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 9  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: February 7th, 2013, 8:52 pm
ah, makes sense, although I have doubts about them being on different heights..... but it could be build then.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: February 7th, 2013, 8:57 pm
I'd loose all the 5"/54s on the long hull Arizona. Between the main guns and the six inchers you should have more NGS firepower than you'd ever need and each 5in gun takes at least thirty crew so you can cut manpower requirements by 360 just from the gun crews and it'll likely go well above 400 when you include director crews and such.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: February 9th, 2013, 7:31 pm
so that's my try for the long hull version with only 22-inch and 8-inch guns retained; i've lowered the aft superstructure, the VLS and the harpoon launchers, removed all the Mark 37/25 directors and the SPQ9 (as they would be useless without the 5-inch guns), lowered the mainmast, lowered the stack, rearrenged the chaff launchers and the RAM, redone part of the bridge and rebuilt almost entirely the fore fire control tower trying to archieve a more USN-esque look; this way the forward SPY-1 arrays are placed 4 meters lower than before, and all the useless extra greenhouses are gone.
[ img ]

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: February 9th, 2013, 9:11 pm
You should find a way to place those SPY panels together on your main mast, because they're actually fed by a signal generator deeper in the ship. On a Tico, there's two generators for two sets of panels, on a Burke there's one set for four panels. Unless the aft placement is actually two panels, and the fore one too (mirroring the Tico setup) you've got a rather unique setup where one signal generator is feeding three panels, and the other one one panel.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: February 9th, 2013, 9:47 pm
Yes, the SPY-1 setup is the same as the Ticonderoga cruisers, i also tought initially to place the arrays togheter like on the Arleigh Burke destroyers but eventually i've chosen to let those ships live with this flaw as the idea is have them as older battleships refitted this way instead of beign built from the ground-up (and i am indeed thinking about an AEGIS battleship designed from the ground-up to house the SPY-1 arrays, i've done just her hull tough)

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: February 10th, 2013, 12:13 am
Very nice! One small nitpick i got from the BBGN-029 I did, with a ship this size, the propeller blades may need to be a little fatter in order to maximize the water grab. I especially like your secondaries.

[Profile] [Quote]
t72ural
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: February 13th, 2013, 5:21 am
Looks alot like an American attempt to build a counterweight to the Kirov-class (or perhaps their successors). Great job! I can't wait to see how this turns out! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 5th, 2013, 5:37 pm
ok, it's not a battleship, it's not a redux, but it's oversized and silly, more like a pixel-art attempt than a real viable design.. but i'm having fun.
[ img ]

(i must definitely kick myself in the head and get back to IJN warships...)

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 5th, 2013, 5:54 pm
no, go on, have fun! it looks great, but keep the power requirements in mind: you might have to add another set of turbines (and for shafts this long, integrated electric drive would not be an bad idea :P)
I have some doubts about an twin gun fitting in that unit, though :P and I also doubt the forward 2 VLS cells would be different in position, for construction reasons, unless you can show me an real world ship with an arrangement like that? (note, for 2 blocks a bit apart from each other it makes sense, but as close as this I doubt it)

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 5th, 2013, 5:59 pm
Looks good thus far!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 9  [ 81 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: