Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 14  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 514 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: February 28th, 2013, 6:28 pm
BB, though hugely gratifying, you need not credit me for any parts you've used or amended. Otherwise a great drawing, though my one critique would be that the bridge face looks way too 'British'; not very 'American'. If there's a way to elegantly change that, I'd do it. Otherwise I suppose Missoula and Frederick have a battlegroup to join now...

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: February 28th, 2013, 6:48 pm
Actually the forward part of the bridge follows the shape of that on the Albany class cruisers, i've only inverted the levels giving the upper a bigger greenhouse (while on the Albanys it was the opposite).

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: February 28th, 2013, 7:11 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Otherwise I suppose Missoula and Frederick have a battlegroup to join now...
"Frederick"? What have I missed? :D

BB1987: I love it. I'd probably keep at least one of the forward turrets to allow it to keep it's role as a bombardement ship, but since we're going with missile conversations, I can see why you did it like this. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: February 28th, 2013, 7:19 pm
Yes, BB, I can see that now. It still looks a tad odd; not misshaped or anything, just odd, but I'll just have to get used to it. I admit on the Missoula, I drew a larger two-level bridge structure, compared to the Baltimore flagship conversions. I suppose for a battleship your shape is actually a smart one.

KHT: the Frederick is the imaginary sister of the likewise imaginary Missoula.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: February 28th, 2013, 7:58 pm
KHT wrote:
I love it. I'd probably keep at least one of the forward turrets to allow it to keep it's role as a bombardement ship, but since we're going with missile conversations, I can see why you did it like this. ;)
fear not, she will be the only one of the five sisters to lose all her big guns.

my idea, developeed in a loose timeline, is to have:
-1948-1950 BB-67, 68 and 69 (Montana, Ohio, Maine) completed
-1951, BB-70 and 71 (New Hampshire and Louisiana) construction halted
-1954-1958, BB-70 refitted with a Talos lanuncher (or two, i still need to figure it out) loses turrets 3 and 4
-early 60s, BB-71 refitted as a double-ended Talos warship, also fitted with tartar launchers, loses all main guns an six ou of then 5/54 gun mounts
-mid 70s, BB-70 decommissioned, BB-68 refitted with RIM66 and mk26 launchers loses turrets 3 and 4
-early to mid-80s, BB-67 refitted in Iowa-style with harpoons and ABL, retains full main guns armament, some 5/54 (still figuring it out) landed
-early 90s, BB-69 refit (i have yet to finalize this, but she may end up with main battery forward and VLS aft)

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: February 28th, 2013, 9:32 pm
Ah! Beautifully done BB1987 and Bezo. A very credible drawing which could have been done in Real Life.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
deankal55
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: February 28th, 2013, 10:41 pm
Can I suggest adding some 3"/50 twin mounts in some of the 40mm gun tubs. You might need something for close-in protection.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: February 28th, 2013, 11:01 pm
i think that a bunch of .50-caliber machine guns are all that i need for a 1960s missile conversion

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 1st, 2013, 4:33 am
Not a bad drawing, but it really does strain credibility that Talos would not be the beginning and end of such a plan. It's just so vastly more capable at the time that anything less doesn't pass the smell test, unfortunately.

I do think 3/50 would be an automatic given on something so huge and high-value.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 1st, 2013, 6:34 am
Very nice work, my friend...I was afraid redesigning the superstructure would detract from the Iowa / Montana classic lines, but that redesigned bridge really looks good. I'm impressed! (Still have to be sold on the funnels, though...:lol:)

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 14  [ 133 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 514 »

Jump to: