Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 14  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 614 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 1st, 2013, 11:08 am
Very interesting idea (and drawing).

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 1st, 2013, 6:43 pm
ok, before going out this evening i'll land two WIPs for the 1976 and 1985 Montanas, i have plenty of questions about the first so i hope you guys will forgive me for harrasing you so much, take all the time you might need on the argument.
[ img ]

the second is rather straightforward, just Montana gets the Iowa treatement... i don't have questions about it for now, so its more like a teaser and nothing else
[ img ]

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

Last edited by BB1987 on March 2nd, 2013, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 1st, 2013, 7:09 pm
ok, listen
that Mk 26 montana..... I love it, but it aint gonna work.
the Mk 26 is an very light system for it's size, and it is not big either. your ship is going to have:
- excess beam
- excess displacement ( to the extend of your stern (if you fit them at the stern only) to rise meters from the original waterline)
- the center of gravity going down, making your GM go up, and making the movements of your ship harsher
- excess space, a lot of space in the area you put these things you have no real use for now

and all implications of that on crew, stability, resistance and battle abilities.

I would suggest setting 2 Mk 26 as secondary launchers and set an Mk 10 or something like that as primary missile system. that way you get SM-1 (and even 2) ER instead of MR as main weapon, which really adds a lot.

ASROC had an dedicated sonar, IIRC that one was both on CFA class and on the spruances. should look that up to be certain though, but I have no time right now, ask me later if you are uncertain ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 11:48 pm
Thanks Acelanceloet, i've modified the launchers layout to follow your advices, i've also updated the drawing above to show progress and with sonars from CfA and Spruance classes.

edit:

and here is the wip for the revised Talos BB-70 New Hampshire, switched from Mk7 to Mk12 with a modified magazine twice (at least) as big as the standard one (so she carries a minimum of 104 missiles).
[ img ]
the stern crane will be removed as a dedicated boat handling area is now located at midship by landing the n°3 5-inch gun mount

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 11:56 pm
Since you've got the weight reserves why not give her two super firing launchers?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 3rd, 2013, 12:07 am
Thiel wrote:
Since you've got the weight reserves why not give her two super firing launchers?
i had that idea rolling in my mind for quite some time, but there is not enough space to fit all the SPG49 and SPW2 needed (or at least i didn't find a way to do it) without ending up wit the last SPW2 beign placed even higher than the fore fire-control tower; when i tried to fit superfiring talos launchers i also encountered problems about fitting the reload crane, having an open space above the magazine to replenish missiles and finally retaining the space for the aft radar mast and the platform for the SPS8 height-finder.

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 3rd, 2013, 12:33 am
You could move the entire launcher arrangement further aft. You should have plenty of volume for at and while it'll eat into the flight deck that really isn't an issue in this timeframe.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
deankal55
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 3rd, 2013, 1:19 am
Have you considered a 1950s offensive missile conversion? Alter your double ended Tarrier conversion by replace the fore or aft or both Terrier launchers and magazines with hangers and launcher for Regulus missiles. Or alter one of the designs that retain the gun turrets to replace the aft turret with 16 Polairs missiles arranged in the 4 X 4 pattern.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 3rd, 2013, 11:28 am
you are not going to get an double magazine this way. the only way to do that without changing the engire way the magazine works, is making it deeper..... and I doubt you have the space for that.
also, IIRC, you can have 1 SPW-2 and 2 SPG-49 (but I might be wrong on that)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 3rd, 2013, 12:00 pm
I don't agree Ace. You'll have to change how the rails in the upper part of the aft magazine is set up to allow it to feed missiles from the rear, but that is hardly an insurmountable obstacle.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 14  [ 133 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 614 »

Jump to: