Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 14  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 914 »
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 4th, 2013, 4:47 pm
ok, so the aft director will be gone; and yes i've also tought about modifying the foremast, i'd just not done it yet, tough i was thinking at something more similar to the 1980s Iowas (at least in shape)

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 4th, 2013, 5:34 pm
Yeah, it might, though my suggestion concerned more an era-appropriate mast arrangement. The Iowa-style mast did not exist in 1959/60, when, in all likelihood your conversion was undertaken, so, to transplant a design some 25 years younger will simply not do. However, the upside is that there are other, appropriate designs from the same period you can look at for modeling your mast, if you want either a tripod lattice mast or a quadropod ditto. Look at the large DLGs for instance, they'll offer you solutions.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 4th, 2013, 8:49 pm
Thanks for the feedback, so, that's my try
[ img ]

the foremast is a mix of that on the Springfield (CLG-7) and what i had already there, i've also deleted the aft gun tub and modified the fore one into expanded bridge wings, the lower level also got a bit more winsows; finally, i covered the tower level i tought you were referring to, i hope to not have got you wrong.

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 4th, 2013, 9:55 pm
No, BB, you didn't get me wrong. It all looks very smart. One thing, or, maybe two things and you can call it for the day: the foremost of the aft SPG-55s should really be moved aft, closer to its twin. Alternatively you can space the two groups apart, thus moving the twin forward. The lattice mast looks very nice, and more in character with the time period. You dd a good job there. Personally, though, I'd move the SPS-10 down, to where the prototype LN-66 radar is, on a slightly expanded platform beneath the SPS-39. The LN-66 I'd move either to a lower platform or on to the conning tower roof. Also, if you check my Springfield, and Providence, you'll notice that, by 1970 they carried small SatNav receiver dishes. The round OE-82 was not yet in production; the ones on the cruisers is a prototype predecessor with an unknown designation. The square variant did exist, however. Both the Little Rock and the Oklahoma City had an ice cream cone-shaped satellite receiver, which also the Providence had. I do not presently remember its designation, since I'm not at my computer. The Oklahoma City, in addition, in her last configuration, which, coincidentally spans your year of depiction, also had a spiral-shaped satellite antenna atop her bridge. Speaking of; I very much approve your changes to the bridge structure. Now it really looks like a viable fleet flagship!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 5th, 2013, 8:13 am
Very interesting work! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 5th, 2013, 11:31 am
One more thing I only just noticed. Since your vessel is depicted as of 1976, the Mk33 SRBOCs abeam the tower should be deleted. That system was not introduced till 1972, in a 33-set delivery batch, which all were earmarked for the, then building Spruance-class and certain carriers. However, for some strange reasons (fiscal?) none of the CLG/CGs were ever provided with them. None of the existing battleships (in reserve) received them either. However, if you chose to retain them, I'd advice you to redraw it into a two-tub configuration and delete one set.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 5th, 2013, 12:54 pm
Amended all points you listed above Bezo, here is the updated drawing:
[ img ]

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 5th, 2013, 2:12 pm
I like it very, very much now! The mast work has that intriguingly complex appearance typical of the 1960s more elaborate conversions and subsequent additions. The Loral-Hycor Mk33 SRBOC looks spot-on. Overall now a well-balanced, albeit, very likely a most expensive ship - but then, so where the Bostons and Albanys!

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 5th, 2013, 3:55 pm
Thanks, and thank you very much for the help.

here is also the late 50s Talos conversion i've modded and posted earlier following the advices of Thiel and Acelanceloet; she was initially the first ship posted here, but she's ending up beign "refitted" continously.
That's the third (or second?) take, mk12 variant with double sized magazine containing 104 missiles at least; the aft superstructure, based on that of the Cleveland class conversions, had been reduced in heght and size as it had been pointed previously that it looked a bit too big, the radar suite is based on the Talos armed Clevelands.
[ img ]

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 5th, 2013, 3:58 pm
may I ask why you put the Mk 7 GMLS deckhouse over the Mk12?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 14  [ 133 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 914 »

Jump to: