Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 9 of 14  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1114 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 6th, 2013, 5:37 pm
Ace, actually you're wrong! I meant - and wrote exactly what I intended to mean! There were several members who remarked that the Mack's on my Missoula hull might render the ship unstable, I agreed and removed them. On a narrow-beamed hull such as the Baltimores (70ft), that would clearly be an issue, considering that I did not elect to reconstruct the bridge structure, but rather having it enlarged forward. The Montanas with their generous beam of 121 ft would not experience that kind of problem. Now, ace, I'm not stating that the ship that would emerge from such a conversion might not have certain stability issues (though IRL the Iowas were considered very stable platform with a stiff pitch and short roll). Such issues might emanate from the placement of the massive SPS-2 for instance, but I cannot see that a reconstruction largely following that of the Albanys would give rise to that kind of problems. Now, how about we bury the hatchet and let BB1987 conceive something, for all we really are doing is griping about a theoretical issue, for which we have no substance yet!

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 6th, 2013, 6:47 pm
Yes Bezo, you got it right, the drawing is supposed to show New Hampshire as completed, basically my idea was that she laid uncomplete like BB-66 untill the mid 50s then both where converted, Kenyucky got the twin terrier launchers while BB-70 the twin arm talos with the oversized magazine; this was also the reason why i did not considered macks for her, i intended to follow the same lines intended for the sixth iowa:
[ img ]

anyway, here is the revised version with the aft FCS superstructure completely gone, the mainmast moved away from the funnel and the SPS-2 fitted on the platform above the missile magazines; i've also modifed the external look of the aft deckhouse looking at other usn missile cruisers
[ img ]

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 6th, 2013, 6:57 pm
Very nice painting! However, it actually appears that the radar set on the platform is the SPS-12, which could double as an FC radar, and the SPS-2 seems to be perched atop the lower mast platform forward. There's an SPS-30 directional/homing radar on the main mast. But, on the other hand I may e wrong since I'm looking at the picture on my IPad, and it's awfully small and fuzzy! To have the heavy SPS-2 on the aft platform would make every sense in the world!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 7th, 2013, 1:50 am
Nice!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 7th, 2013, 2:03 am
Eh, I wouldn't go off those paintings - they're paintings, nothing more. The artist involved didn't work off any official plans etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 7th, 2013, 3:47 am
Colo, you're quite right there. However, they can serve as inspiration, especially if what exists of official documentation is sketchy and just basic.
As for the latest version, I strongly suggest you exchange the SPS-39 3D-radar to an SPS-30 height finder ( your mainmast radar, that is...)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 7th, 2013, 7:59 am
Very interesting!

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 7:38 pm
So incredibly waiting for that double-ended Talos conversion.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 8:32 pm
sorry Mihoshik, i ended up doing a double end Terrier instead a Talos one, i'll see what i can do if the source gathering for the next IJN destroyer class takes longer than what i expect tough, i might have a bunch of ideas for it.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Montana Class Missile conversionsPosted: March 23rd, 2013, 10:26 pm
BB, want me to lend you a helping hand on that one?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 14  [ 133 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1114 »

Jump to: