Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
Hood
Post subject: Re: Alternate WWII RN DesignsPosted: March 15th, 2013, 8:47 am
Looking good, I like the 1930s style of this ship, very much a cruiser on steriods.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Alternate WWII RN DesignsPosted: March 15th, 2013, 12:55 pm
Next up is the elegantly named CA3. Armed with 3 twin 9.2" guns and carrying 2 aircraft. Loosely inspired by the Royal Navys idea for a 9.2" armed heavy cruiser in the forties.
It's still very preliminary, please tell me if it could be improved...

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Alternate WWII RN DesignsPosted: March 15th, 2013, 1:12 pm
If it is going to be a forties era build why not land the spotter and increase AAA?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Alternate WWII RN DesignsPosted: March 15th, 2013, 1:32 pm
Suddenly guns made for Norway by the British are in use. First Zephyr and then this one. I like!

The gun is from the 1918's but since the Glatton fromer Bjorgvin class was scraped after the war, du to the magazine explosion. the remaining guns are very realistic to be used on other ships. And the range of those guns means they can fire on a heavy cruiser and hit it hard without that Heavy ruiser get in to it's guns range. funfact, the 9.2" is originally a railroad guns, so there must be plenty of guns to use.
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h37 ... jrgvin.png

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Alternate WWII RN DesignsPosted: March 15th, 2013, 4:04 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
If it is going to be a forties era build why not land the spotter and increase AAA?
Although the concept was around in the '40s (or so I believe) I'm currently drawing to a 1930s spec here :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Alternate WWII RN DesignsPosted: March 15th, 2013, 4:21 pm
Fair enough! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Alternate WWII RN DesignsPosted: March 15th, 2013, 6:07 pm
Still interesting :) The CA3 looks the most promising, though I'm not sure about having the weight of turrets aft (damned unsporting and smacks of foreign influence don't you know? :lol: ) I'm also not keen on having the ships boats sitting on the hangar roof, isn't that where the officers sunbathe?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Alternate WWII RN DesignsPosted: March 16th, 2013, 2:05 am
Ehh..PBS, think Queen Elizabeth and Valiant after reconstruction or the Repulse after ditto.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Alternate WWII RN DesignsPosted: March 16th, 2013, 9:14 am
A couple more Pom-Poms would be good for a ship this size I think. An interesting design too.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Alternate WWII RN DesignsPosted: March 20th, 2013, 10:14 pm
The CA3 design is nice and inventive, but may I suggest a few points. Firstly the stern looks a little too long and bare. The propellers seem to me a little too small, for a ship of this size and too far apart from rudder. Also the position of the second funnel looks wrong, as it is too far apart from the fore funnel (consider the boilers are below the funnels - or nearly below with some trunking, which was not a popular solution by the DNC). Bridge is too small, and I believe a ship of this size will have some flag capabilities (most RN cruisers were used at various stages of their careers as flagships, even be it for a flotilla of destroyers). The disposition of 4" AA guns looks somewhat wrong, especially with the fore mountings, mounted on a higher level than the others (please note that most pre-war cruisers had the mountings grouped together to ease the supply run from below decks magazines). A mainmast is sorely missed here, as in the world of pre satellite communication, cruisers (in the RN at least were expected to stay in touch even over long distances, and that meant high masts with the radio antennas stung between both masts. Later these higher masts gave a higher position for the radar, hence an extended horizon). Boats and Pom-Poms were discussed

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: