Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 33 of 34  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page « 130 31 32 33 34 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: March 21st, 2013, 3:40 pm
I second eltf77's recommendation, albeit with the rider that 16 6" guns together with eight 8"-in hers are way, way too ambitious, which is reflected in the rather poor layout of your turrets and secondary. Mind you, the Duke of Edinburghs had only ten 6"-in with six 9.2" in six single turrets; the succeeding classes swapped the 6"- in for the more powerful 7.5", which, coincidentally resulted in splash interference. The USN Pennsylvanias shipped 14 6" with four 8" main armament. The next class swapped the 8" for the 10". In other words, my dear friend, thou attemptest too much here. My suggestion: keep your main armament as is, but reduce the secondaries to only ten, at the most 12, but I strongly recommend the former! Unfortunately, however you'll finagle with the layout, your secondaries will end up being basically as useless in anything but the calmest seaway, as they were on the DofEs. But, since I know realism is one of your aims, that's actually a good feature here, adding that imperfect credibility to your design. Otherwise I very much like your design and the sleek lines of your ACR.
EDIT: I'd not go with APDAF:s suggestion; it'll spoil your design completely!

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: March 21st, 2013, 3:51 pm
Secondaries have been reduced to ten, and are now spread more out to give it a more balanced look.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: March 21st, 2013, 7:13 pm
Now that is a balanced design. Congrats for an outstanding effort!

One thing that I only now noticed; and it may be your personal preference, or just a minor oversight: is the bow supposed to be a curved one ( that is, it curves or dips down from a point of its rise approx. around the base of the forward turret. Don't you think it'd be much more handsome if you continued the rise; very akin to Sir William White's HMS Renown of 1897?

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: March 21st, 2013, 8:05 pm
The curvature is actually taken from the French AC Contré. Most will probably not pay too much attention to the bow. So I think I`ll leave it be.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: March 21st, 2013, 10:35 pm
The foc'sle deck rise ( and depression...)??? I don't think it was a feature of the Condé. French ships of the period had only a very modest rise forward; some had none. The major exception was the ACR Jeanne d'Arc of 1899, but she had a steady continuous rise. But, karle, it is your drawing, so, of course you have the final say. I only wanted to point out something that might've been an error. Believe me! I've experienced them myself so many times!

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: March 21st, 2013, 10:41 pm
It was the Jean D´Arc I took it from. Got it confused. If you look at the drawing you will see it. The superstructure is placed much forward on the Jean D´Arc than mine, concealing it the a short, but sudden rise, then flattening out to a long steady rise.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: March 21st, 2013, 11:26 pm
I understand that you were inspired of Alvama's rendition of the Jeanne, right? Well, I have checked my sources and made a comparison with builder's plans etc, and his foc'sle does have a 'knuckle' about halfway up on the rise, so you drawing it that way makes perfect sense in that respect - but the real Jeanne had in fact a continuous rise; no break or knuckle. But again, it's artistic license we're talking about, nothing else!

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: March 25th, 2013, 9:17 am
A much improved variant, bravo!

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: March 31st, 2013, 5:31 pm
During the mid twenties a design for a battleship was drawn up. The new design, the Ásgardr class. The design was supposed to outmatch designs such as the American South Dakota, the British N3 and the Japanese No.13. The design was armed with 12x18"/50 guns, 15x6"/55 guns and 8X5"/25 AAA guns. As huge as it was, the design was frowned upon and never went past blueprints.

[ img ]

A light cruiser commisioned in 1934. Armed with 12x6"/50 and 12X5"/25 AAA.
[ img ]

Last edited by Karle94 on March 31st, 2013, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Norseland: The Viking AUPosted: March 31st, 2013, 5:52 pm
Nice clean hull and such.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 33 of 34  [ 336 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 130 31 32 33 34 »

Jump to: