Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 5  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: Super TigersPosted: March 28th, 2013, 6:42 pm
Currently working on getting some form of organized liveries post-war. I've settled on so far one livery (For strike aircraft from around 1967 onwards) Which follows as well as a pre Vietnam War scheme that would have been seen upon naval aircraft up until around 1970 where it would be superseded by an as yet undeveloped scheme.

[ img ]
[ img ]

The first scheme consists of colours from (what I assume to all be on) BS381C palette. Dark and light Mediterranean blue upper surfaces with PRU blue mid surfaces and pale blue under surfaces.
The second scheme shifts towards colours that would end up in the FS595 palette, in this case they are. FS34226, 34159, 34172 and 34424. The first three being used in a disruptive scheme over both upper and mid surfaces and the latter being used for under and lower-mid surfaces. This scheme would have been trialled firstly on the Super Tiger during Atlantian involvement in the Vietnam War and then repeated on other types engaged in the strike role including all A-4s, A-7s, Buccaneers and F-105s as well as selected F-4s and J35s.
Post Vietnam the scheme would remain in heavy usage as it was found to suit not only SEA jungles but European forests and plains. The scheme would be in turn applied to F/A-18s in non territorial guard units, FA-15s and most recently the Rafale in strike squadrons. There have been some variations upon the basic scheme, those seen most often are a lack of FS34424 creating a wrap-around scheme, this was used in the late eighties and early nineties on A-7s and F-111. The other major variation is the replacement of FS34159 with 30277 creating a a slightly lighter and more universal scheme.

Obviously more stuff will appear from time to time :D

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of Atlantia (FD) ProjectsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 7:11 pm
Excellent Sir!

[Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of Atlantia (FD) ProjectsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Looks very nice! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of Atlantia (FD) ProjectsPosted: March 28th, 2013, 9:00 pm
I like it, Excellent use of my Super Tigers!

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Something new...Posted: April 8th, 2013, 8:21 pm
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Before I go into detail on the drawings themselves, I've tried to get the canards correctly profiled and sized to the best of my ability. Secondly, I've also tried to best convey the modifications listed in the PDF I posted previously. Any follow up detailing DP does on the final F-15 family portrait I intend to carry over. Hence these not yet being templated up (I'm waiting until DP actually finishes them)
Now onto the schemes. Starting from the bottom we have the original "Swamp" scheme applied to the Strike orientated FA-15s which has remained the default until quite recently. Some RF-15s were repainted into overall PRU blue for deployment to Libya where they were used in their intended RECCE role at various altitudes. The scheme was found to work quite well and was proposed to replace the "Swamp" as the new default for strike aircraft as it was thought to be more suitable for more areas however in the end only aircraft deployed to strike Libya were finished in the scheme. Next up is the "forest green" scheme which has been selected to replace the "Swamp" scheme which has been in service for well over 50 years in one form or another. The new scheme features FS 34036, 34082, 34089, 34201 and PRU blue in a complex pattern of curves. The top mos scheme is that which was applied to aircraft deployed in the far east as dictated by the commander of the FEAF, based loosely on the old USAF SEA scheme though substituting the original tan for a darker earth brown.
I figure that I ought to show a full size version of the roundel used by Atlantia too now that I've managed to finally settle upon a design.

More to come.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of Atlantia (FD) ProjectsPosted: April 9th, 2013, 5:29 am
Curious canard configuration.I have never seen it before.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of Atlantia (FD) ProjectsPosted: April 9th, 2013, 7:42 am
Interesting. Though I must say that these canards look... how to say it... like You just add there some giant sheets of hastily cut cardboard.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of Atlantia (FD) ProjectsPosted: April 9th, 2013, 7:47 am
[ img ]
sometimes, reality is weirder then what we think realistic.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of Atlantia (FD) ProjectsPosted: April 9th, 2013, 7:49 am
It would've been to the F-15 what the Su-30/35 family is to the Su-27 - though there were never any plans to actually make it a combat aircraft. It's certainly plausible, but it was always meant as a technology testbed only.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of Atlantia (FD) ProjectsPosted: April 9th, 2013, 7:54 am
I'm not saying that it's unworkable, but just that these canards - as drawings look "flat" and undetailed - they just beg for some leading edge, maybe panel lines and more pronounced profile (and on the photograph they look bit smaller - but maybe that's just my impression).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 5  [ 48 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: