Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 9  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 5th, 2013, 7:29 pm
I might rotate the mid-ships VLS block or otherwise adjust it so that it interferes with the hanger spaces less.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 5th, 2013, 8:10 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
I have some doubts about an twin gun fitting in that unit, though :P and I also doubt the forward 2 VLS cells would be different in position, for construction reasons, unless you can show me an real world ship with an arrangement like that? (note, for 2 blocks a bit apart from each other it makes sense, but as close as this I doubt it)
i should have enough space to space a bit more the fore VLS cells, Sejong the Great has indeed two vls block near to each other (aft, near the hangar) but you indeed are right as they are not that close.
i also admit that a twin mount built using the frame of the Oto 127mm is a bit forced, the only explanation i had is that on one of his personal design CGs Erik_t draw a twin 5-inch gun that had roughly the same dimensions of the Oto-compact, and beign (despite it's denomination) the largest gun mount fitted on modern warships i tought it might have done the job...
TimothyC wrote:
I might rotate the mid-ships VLS block or otherwise adjust it so that it interferes with the hanger spaces less.
Technically the aft superstructure with the 32-cell VLS block, helo hangar and everything else is lifted there without modifications from the Atago class DDG, wich has a beam of 21 meters versus the 22 of my drawing.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 5th, 2013, 8:23 pm
on the VLS, I see now that I have not been entirely clear, I meant that the forward ones are a bit different in height, which I would prefer them not to be :P
on the oto, IIRC, the 5in on that vessel was an ASuW unit only, quite a class apart from the AAW/ASuW oriented oto 127. this is why the Mk 45 is still smaller then the current 127/54 lightweight.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 5th, 2013, 8:53 pm
Certainly it looks impressive! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 6th, 2013, 12:29 am
i also love that design, but im not sure how i feel about the vls. What are you calling her? what type of ship is she, cruiser or battlecruiser?

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 6th, 2013, 1:05 am
Awesome! Why not go for a double version of the new stealth Oto Melala 127/65 though?

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 6th, 2013, 8:23 am
As a design exercise it looks good to me. It doesn't look wildly improbable and has a certain style missing from most modern warships.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 7th, 2013, 2:57 pm
Syzmo wrote:
i also love that design, but im not sure how i feel about the vls. What are you calling her? what type of ship is she, cruiser or battlecruiser?
a cruiser, to give her the term battlecruiser to her i feel i'd have to lenghten her some 100 feet (30 meters) at least and pack her with more missiles.
Hood wrote:
As a design exercise it looks good to me. It doesn't look wildly improbable and has a certain style missing from most modern warships.
thanks hood, altough i must admit that the style you see in her is not entirely there because of me, i did in fact done some changes, like placing the funnels more spaced, but the supestructure comes nearly unchanged from the JDS Kongo and Atago class destroyers, while the hull is much like that of the Arleigh Burke class destroyer (obviously some 200 feet longer)

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 18th, 2013, 10:09 pm
Erusia Force wrote:
Very nice! One small nitpick i got from the BBGN-029 I did, with a ship this size, the propeller blades may need to be a little fatter in order to maximize the water grab. I especially like your secondaries.
it's been awhile but i've done it, i hope you don't mind if i used your props as a reference (i can assure you that except the color palette i've modified my screws pixel py pixel and not by a copy-paste of your BBGN-029 propellers)

[ img ]

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Oversized Battleships Redux.Posted: April 18th, 2013, 10:10 pm
Very nice!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 9  [ 81 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: