Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 37 of 52  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page « 135 36 37 38 3952 »
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: USN Systems (02/26/2013)Posted: March 30th, 2013, 8:05 pm
That is an awesome rework of an old part.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: USN Systems (02/26/2013)Posted: April 8th, 2013, 4:56 am
As the manager of the USN parts sheets, I'm declaring a pause on the use of the 5"/38 Mk 12 gun mounts (specifically the twin mounts) until further notice. It's been discovered that they are out of scale.

Everyone, blame Colo, he found the problem.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USN Systems (02/26/2013)Posted: April 8th, 2013, 5:13 am
[ img ]

The Mk.37 is also currently being redrawn...

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: USN Systems (02/26/2013)Posted: April 8th, 2013, 7:01 am
Few things...

As an artist, recently when I've been doing my AU stuff I noticed that by default all out basic rangefinder tubes are facing sideways, where as all such rangefinders inside more modular firecontroll devices (such as Mk37) seems to be facing the centerline. Should we sort of make this standard or perhaps a sideway looking versions of the larger systems as well? drawing the simple rangefinder oculars facing the centerline takes away all shape and form from them.

And as a general note as an Administraror: There seems to be bit of misunderstanding present. We as a staff are not going to stop anyone using any parts whatsoever in their drawings. Such policy have never existed in SB and will not be so in this case either. Only case such thing happens, is when the uploading is about to be done and only when using "wrong" stuff is clearly breaking the cohesion, and the drawing is "returned" to the artist for correction, so naturally artists who wants their stuff uploaded are responsible themselves to follow the latest fashion or so among the parts. If some equipment needs reverting, then sure do so and everyone should be obligated to correct, but in absence of it, you can use what ever parts there is to sublement

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USN Systems (02/26/2013)Posted: April 8th, 2013, 1:24 pm
The current mixed-direction rangefinder situation seems to reflect the general Shipbucket principle that parts should face the direction that best shows their shape and extent and features. For nearly everything (turrets, missile rails, etc), this is fore-and-aft. Likewise, for directors like the Mk 37, this is surely fore-and-aft. For large optical rangefinders, this certainly is port-and-starboard. I think it better to be mixed in this sense, rather than mix the general philosophy above.

The only obvious exception I can think of is the USN main battery fire control in the WW2 era, which has always been portrayed fore-and-aft (probably because of the radar on top). These should probably be redrawn to be port-and-starboard...?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USN Systems (02/26/2013)Posted: April 8th, 2013, 2:19 pm
If I was going to show any USN director port-and-starboard, it would be the Mk.37 on the midships mounts on the Iowa class. The Mk.38 (main battery) director is never shown facing p-and-s in any drawings or plans I've ever seen.

I don't really want to draw the Mk.37 facing outboard but if I have to I will - right now it's just a question of finding adequate sources to use as a reference, which as of now seems very difficult for some strange reason????? I thought it would be relatively easy to find schematics of the Mk.37, but it seems impossible.

I don't think I will bother drawing the Mk.38 directors P&S simply because no plans show it that way and the general agreement amongst 99% of all lineart I've ever seen does not show them this way. That includes 1) the builder's plans of Alaska, and 2) Friedman's illustrations of Alaska, North Carolina, South Dakota, and Iowa (classes). As erik_t once said, Friedman's is basically beyond reproach so I don't see a problem with showing the Mk.38 facing fore-and-aft. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USN Systems (02/26/2013)Posted: April 8th, 2013, 11:23 pm
Frankly, I'm not too concerned with the inconsistency here. At this point, it is tradition.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: USN Systems (02/26/2013)Posted: April 9th, 2013, 2:26 pm
why im intressed of the sideways showing of the rangefinders, is that they revial the length of the ranger's base and and by that way adds greatly to the reconition of the system. But I kinda agree, its not always easy to find proper sideway references to them from other linedrawings, plans ect....

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USN Systems (02/26/2013)Posted: April 11th, 2013, 6:02 am
Finally completed the Mk.37s, please let me know if you spot anything strange.

[ img ]

The 5"/38s will be released along with the Alaska (hopefully).

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: USN Systems (02/26/2013)Posted: April 11th, 2013, 10:39 am
Just checking, but the right and left sides of the director are the same (meaning we can mirror the part for aft-facing configurations) correct?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 37 of 52  [ 518 posts ]  Return to “Official Parts Sheets” | Go to page « 135 36 37 38 3952 »

Jump to: